Couldn't say it better my self

SlickTR

Somebody has started to straighten some of these thoughtless and ungrateful people out. And I am even more grateful that it was someone serving in one of the branches of military. Military paid too much? You be the judge ! This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America. On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise coming servicemembers' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve. A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this. "Ms Williams: I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough"and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted over payment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS(The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after. I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum... I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions. Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in our armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off ofWIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends,thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary bread winner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them. Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole,shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opinioned piece. But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it. You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish! A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

Yeah I thought is was a good message considering all the trouble we went through to finally get our big :rolleyes: 3.5% pay raise.

The men deserve everything they can get! They shouldn't have to worry
about the election or who wins the Presidency because there will be
a direct relationship between who wins and there life style. (as bad as
it is, yes it can get worse.) So many of the troops have to work two
jobs just to make ends meet. If you are lucky enough to have the rank
to get base housing. Oh, you didn't know that not every one is allowed
base housing. But they will give you enough housing allowance to rent off
base in the mean time. Usually just about enough money to get you a
place that your afraid to leave your family every day when you leave for
work. But with the second job it's not bad. But what happens to their
family. When they get orders to go overseas,TDY, or any where.
No, they can't take their family and there goes the second job.
Now you are across the world in God knows where doing God knows what
not knowing how your wife is going to make the rent,food,bills. And
believe me the only thing you really care about is, are they safe. Because
you know where you have to live isn't even safe. Makes for a good nights
sleep no matter what unthinkable things you may have seen that day.
Yet they still do their duty. Thank God I had some talent and skill,I guess
a little more than most,made rank quick,more money better life. Realized
with my skills I could get a job in the civilian world making enough money
to at least live some where safe for my family. With out tooting my own horn I was what the military called quality force. And most of our highly trained
GI's that would be considered quality force are doing the same thing. Why? Easy why in the hell would anyone stay in a position where your under paid,over worked(but don't complain),your worried about your family safety.When you can get out and get a well paying job. Now if most
of the well trained personnel keep separating from the services year after
year and those that stay, Both good and bad will eventually be promoted into leadership roles guess who's left running the show. Kind of scary isn't it. Quality force must be paid for their time and services and safety. :eek:

Sorry I'm rambling