Could the timing chain cause this problem?

turboost

The car turns over but won't start. We have rpl the coil pack, module, crank sensor, and fuel filter. When you place a spark plug wire upto the coil pack and try to start it the spark is erratic. The car starts everyonce in a while but when you turn it off it may not start again for days. The only thing left I can think of is the timing chain. Could a worn out timing chain cause this problem? Thanks for any help.

BTW this is not on a GN. Its on my 87 Park Avenue but the setup of it is very similar to my GN. I even swapped my coil pack off my Gn with it since I know its a good coil pack.

When it does start, does it run fine? If so then timing chain is not the issue.

Well I have only drove it once since this problem started and it seemed to drive fine until I shut it off then it wouldn't start up. If the chain is worn or sagging couldn't it run fine when started since the slack is taken out of the chain but hard to start b/c of the slack or the teeth are gone? Any other suggestions as to what it could be? maybe the ECM?

Even a really loose chain (assuming it has not skipped) can only be equivalent to a small portion of a tooth jump. The car would run consistently. Once it jumps it won't go back ever. Each tooth worth of jump is retarding the cam. 2-3 teeth and it won't run ever. Go further and valves bang into the pistons (in an interference engine). It can't be your chain if you can get it to run decently.

All cars crap a fuel pump over time. Can car start with a spray of starter fluid in intake ? OR - Ive seen a crank sensor on a 1987 cutlass 3.0 litre that would start and run for a week and then not at all other times. It never set a code. Was a physically damaged part.

Have you consisered the cam sensor? It's only needed for starting the car and can actually be unhooked while the car is running with no effect. If the spark is irratic during cranking it could be the cam sensor. Are you getting any codes?

The problem has been solved. We pulled out the old timing chain and it had 1 tooth left on it. We replaced it and everything is fine thus far.

Looks like I was totally wrong! What gives. How can the car run sometimes fine but not others? I don't get it.

Its still possible that we haven't fixed the problem but it has started every time since so I think it was the chain. I'll let you know if the problem comes back. It was intermittent.