Could someone decifer these BRF and CZF codes for me?

SSYNERGY

BRF 042-872BRF1197 this is from my 87 WE-4 and on the Bellhousing case is the black 7BR markings.

CZF 189-872CZF0680 this is from an 87 SS that was converted to T-56 6-Speed, and the Bellhousing case has the black 7CZF markings.

Thanks guys, I tried using that guide, but there seems to be a conflict between the correct number of digits on the I.D. tag.

RSVP

Help is here!

OK, looks at this:
http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

The GN site also has a page about this, but it's down now.

So, both of these were made in 1987. That CZ is good performance trans if you can't get a BR. It doesn't have have the larger servo like the BR, but it does have the later shift points, partially due to the governor, and better than stock shift feel.

hacksaw something else i have found is passing gear is much more alive on the cz when used in a turbobuick.the br will not kickdown at above 20 mph on a 2/1 kd but most czs will at 30.i like the cz better and in my opinion it performs better with the 3.42 and v6.there is also some toting info about the throttle valve sizes.this doesnt mean **** here and no one has any proof to back up the claims so its a dead issue in my head until weve got proof.

Good points. I don't have a BR valve body (handy) to look at all the valve, spring, & bushing measurements. Plus, I have nothing to check spring tensions with, except by feel.

That might be a good experiment to swap the valve body & governor between the CZ & BR in a TR/GN, and see how it does. That higher low speed kickdown won't help the 1/4 mile, but it could be killer on the street! :cool:

I did pick up a KZ3 valve body (with seperator plate & accumulator piston) for a decent price. I can't figure out if I should try to sell it after looking at it, or put it in my Brother's trashed '85 TR, where when the trans failed he just picked up a used one at a wrecking yard! :eek:

(His TR has other problems as well. However; My Father's stock '87 GN (or TR?) is sitting under a tarp many miles from here, in a locked garage. And he his a gun handy. Got to fix these car theives someway.)

I have a Monte Carlo type governor in the mail to me, somewhere.

When I converted my father's 88 SS to Buick power I used the original CZF trans for awhile. As Chris explained, it kicks down further than the Buick transmissions do which is nice in the 40-60 mph range when trying to pass or reaccelerate. Dont quote me how far it kicks down. Now the down side or the CZF were the upshifts are too high for a stock Buick engine and when running at the track it was over revving the engine as the CZF can shift as high as 5500 rpms. This wouldnt be a problem for those with cams with more duration but with a stock engine it would cause KR.

i dont see the problem with 5500 shifts , my brf built by eric shertz shifts at 5500 every time on its own with an all stock motor and kr at the top isnt an issue ,

Hacksaw said:
Good points. I don't have a BR valve body (handy) to look at all the valve, spring, & bushing measurements. Plus, I have nothing to check spring tensions with, except by feel.

That might be a good experiment to swap the valve body & governor between the CZ & BR in a TR/GN, and see how it does. That higher low speed kickdown won't help the 1/4 mile, but it could be killer on the street! :cool:

I did pick up a KZ3 valve body (with seperator plate & accumulator piston) for a decent price. I can't figure out if I should try to sell it after looking at it, or put it in my Brother's trashed '85 TR, where when the trans failed he just picked up a used one at a wrecking yard! :eek:

(His TR has other problems as well. However; My Father's stock '87 GN (or TR?) is sitting under a tarp many miles from here, in a locked garage. And he his a gun handy. Got to fix these car theives someway.)

I have a Monte Carlo type governor in the mail to me, somewhere.
I am just about done with a CZ coded 200 4-r. It was a GM replacement trans that was in a GN my buddy bought to part out. It has the CZ valvebody, but came with the turbo regal governor. I dont know how the trans acted before the rebuild as far as shift points cuz we never drove it before pulling it. Anyway the direct and forward clutches were smoked (low line pressure). So i reassembled with red clutches, wide band, shift kit, boost valves and a new pump assembly as well as new gaskets and seals throughout. I should have feedback by next week on it. Btw the throttle valve was the same as the one that comes in the BR coded valvebody. If you want any info on this valvebody as far as the springs and valves let me know soon before i install it.

pacecarta said:
i dont see the problem with 5500 shifts , my brf built by eric shertz shifts at 5500 every time on its own with an all stock motor and kr at the top isnt an issue ,
With a stock cam 5500 is just too darn much. On my father's car ET improved by .3 consistantly by short shifting it manually at 5k.
Leaving it in drive it was very noticeable that it needed to be shifted sooner.
Maybe your car was different. Now with the aftermarket cam I put in my father's car after I went through the engine again, 5500-5600 would be more like it, but with the stocker it was too much.

BRF and CZF codes

Thank you gentlemen, this information was what I was looking for. I'm glad that the CZF tranny is a good unit for sure, sine I will use it in an 93 LT-1/2004R setup in a NON-TURBO REGAL project. :D