Correct Torque Converter?

m0bius

I bought my TTA about 3 months ago, I've tuned it with all the standard tune-up stuff. But I think there is an abnormal behavior slowing the car down on the low end of a take off. I was told the tranny was rebuilt under the previous owner by a shop about 25k miles ago. So now I'm thinking do I have the wrong TC?

So I did two tests: 1) I just jumped on it from a stand still and the car took off at about 1600rpm or so. 2)I powerbraked and observed how high I could get the rpm until it wouldn't climb anymore, and it stopped rising at 1850(I confirmed with the scanmaster).

Does this prove that the D5 was swapped out and a regular 200r4 TC was put in it's place? Which stalls at 1800 I believe.

thanks in advance.

I'd say your tests confirm your contention that the current converter is stalling too low. One word of caution though.

A converter stall speed is a function of input torque. I presume that your TTA is mostly stock and does not have a bigger cam or bigger turbo? If that's the case, your converter is probably not configured correctly.

If you added a cam, bigger turbo and/or different injectors & chip, those mods can effectively reduce your stall speed with a given converter. In those instances, a looser than stock converter will wake the car back up.

Yes, my TTA is stock except for a thrasher 92. Then you are suggesting that I DO have the D5 except it needs configuration? Or that it really isn't a D5 and I need to swap one of those in or something else like a red stripe etc...