copying dvd movies.......

GNFURY

wooooshhhhhhhhh
just got a dvd burner, and I expected to be able to make copies of all my dvd's for backups. now I am running into the copy protection crap! Is there any way around this? Whatabout dvd copy x? any program available that will let me do this????

It's not quite that simple. A lot of commercial DVD's are dual-layer (i.e. 4.7 GB * 2 = 9.4 GB), so they won't directly fit on a DVD+R. If you re-compress the movies to have lower picture quality, they will fit, but it takes a lot of CPU time.

I've never used the program that you mentioned.

get DVD Shrink (free program) and Nero 6 Ultra, I make ummm Backups of all my DVDs and have had to umm rent some that i ruined the originals to have my working backups ;)

Originally posted by granatl
It's not quite that simple. A lot of commercial DVD's are dual-layer (i.e. 4.7 GB * 2 = 9.4 GB), so they won't directly fit on a DVD+R. If you re-compress the movies to have lower picture quality, they will fit, but it takes a lot of CPU time.

I've never used the program that you mentioned.

I have NEVER had any Deterioration of Quality, infact the ones i would expect some like Finding Nemo were as crisp as the original

DVD Backup

DVDShrink is the BOMB !!!

Actually, Nero 6 incorporates a DVDShrink type application in the software. However you have to rip the dvd files first before using the Nero 6 software otherwise you get copy protection errors.

I use a combo of the following to ummm backup my dvd's -
DVDRipper, DVD95Copy, DVDShrink & Nero 6.

Use DVD X Copy as a last resort.

copy 2 dvd and dvdshrink is all u need, nero is too bloated.

no loss of quality unless its a huge movie, like the godfather or something to that extent.

Kevin

Its Easy, 2 programs, about 1hr of your time.

AnyDVD and CloneDVD

YOU DO LOOSE QUALITY IF THE MOVIE GETS RECOMPRESSED, especally if you keep the menus and extras. I don't know what type of TV's you guys have but on my HDTV you can tell the difference.

FWIW I just buy my DVDs used now instead. $10 and I have the real movie, with all the extras.

Originally posted by TType85

YOU DO LOOSE QUALITY IF THE MOVIE GETS RECOMPRESSED

Thanks for speaking up! I was starting to feel like the unpopular minority here. Anytime you increase compression, quality degrades.

Can someone be specific in what is required to copy a DVD movie? If I download the program on to my computer does that mean I can use my CD Burner or am I attaching a DVD burner to my computer?

actually its alot easier then what i see mentioned above.
just download dvd copy x trial version.
install it
then insert your dvd movie and follow the instructions, about a hour depending .

as for pic quality i havent noticed any but then again i have a regular tv and use ps2 to play back.
Dave