cooling system questions

phil conrad

Hello. I am having some problems with my TTA. I have not driven it on a hot day for a while. It was close to 100 here today. It used to run about 180- 190 with the AC on. Today It ran at about 230. This was in bumper to bumper traffic. When I got on the freeway it droped to about 200. This is a car that is mostly stock other than a chip and a 160 t stat.
I did notice a couple of things. Only 1 of the fans runs. I assume this is not normal. Is there a way to check what is causing this ? I also noticed that my radiator has scale on it. I am wondering if I should have it "boiled out" or repalce it ? Are these radiators specfic to these cars ?

Thanks

Well when you change the stat.. you have to change the chip. 160 stat needs fan to come on at 162.. and off at 158. The stock chip comes on at 180?

One fan is commanded by the computer.. the other runs when the AC is on. So if you switch the AC on.. both should run. If not, you may have a bad fan or relay. Grounding the green yellow wire on top of the high temp sensor on top of the intake will cuase the high speed fan to come on.

You can get a new radiator at Advance for like 120 bucks.

HTH

I can relate

Originally posted by phil conrad
Hello. I am having some problems with my TTA. I have not driven it on a hot day for a while. It was close to 100 here today. It used to run about 180- 190 with the AC on. Today It ran at about 230. This was in bumper to bumper traffic. When I got on the freeway it droped to about 200. This is a car that is mostly stock other than a chip and a 160 t stat.
I did notice a couple of things. Only 1 of the fans runs. I assume this is not normal. Is there a way to check what is causing this ? I also noticed that my radiator has scale on it. I am wondering if I should have it "boiled out" or repalce it ? Are these radiators specfic to these cars ?

Thanks

Nothing beats sitting on Interstate 10 in nuts to butts traffic, when its 100*+....:D

I checked the air inlet temps on the Scanmaster that day, just flashed "hot"..... bet most of you didn't know it did that;)