cooling problems

butternut Ttype

I have a 86 gn with a 4.1 stage 1 turbo 400 9 inch with a 3.50 gear around town it cools fine but when I get it out on the road the temp will slowly creep up to around 200 I can control it by slowing down it still has the stock rad and a big intercooler up front do you think the intercooler is not letting the airflow get thou I was thinking about getting becools rad kit to see if it would help also it has very large injectors 95lbs maybe running alittle rich any info would be I'm new to the gn world so I don't know alot about them thanks

Hello,I have a similar problem.I also have a big intercooler and the stock radiator.Makes me wonder if enough air is getting through?How did you fix the problem?

Steve

Those Front mount intercoolers are hard on the engine cooling, also the faster speed you run the harder your engine is working, plus the water pass thru the Radi so fast it dont have time to shed the heat.

it sounds like your problem is that the water is moving at a higher rate of spped thru the rad when your at highway speeds and the stock rad is not able to shed the heat. get at least and 3 row rad.

An original, stock rad likely has had so many million heat cycles, that the integrity of the fin to tube attachment has deteriorated, and the heat is not being rejected to the incoming air. This is aggravated if the core is not clean.
*Use of a 160 stat only allows a minimum of 160* operation. Unless the rest of the system is capable, the 160 stat is pretty much useless, and in this case has no bearing on the problem.
* Under drive pulleys?
* Collapsing the lower hose @ hi flow rates?
* Fan operating correctly?
* Exh system working correctly?
* What are you using to control the 95# injs?
* Any data logs?
* Air leaks around the rad, into the area by the headlites? This area needs to be blocked off, so as much of the airflow as possible, goes thru the rad.
* Leaky head gaskets? [Check for exh gas in the rad]
200*, if remaining constant, is not exceptionally hi, especially if the ambient temp is up there...This show up during the 100* we've been having?

LOTS of places to look!!!

sorry it's taken so long to reply I've started a new job and haven't had anytime to work on the car let alone time for myself so I hope to work on it this weekend I'm ready to take it to the track I did buy a becool rad. setup and plan on installing it this weekend I have no idea what thermostat is in the car but I will find out chuck what do you meen what do I have controling the big injectors I've never used a fast set up before so I have alot of learning to do on that system thanks for all the replys chris

"chuck what do you meen what do I have controling the big injectors I've never used a fast set up before so I have alot of learning to do on that system thanks for all the replys chris".
That's what I was asking. What are you using for the ECM. I didn't see it listed in your first post...
If it's a FAST, etc, you could be having VE issues, fan control, etc.

I have a front mount intercooler and I run around 160-170. I resently drove it in a parade in 95 degree weather and it didnt even go pass 160. The best way I found out how to do this was get the radiator from performance transmissions, they pretty much have the best one money can buy. 160 thremostat, i also have duel fan setup for the car, and also RJC complete race pulley set. If you run that setup for a front mount intercooler GN, or any GN you should run cool all the time.