Cooling Issues

NVRL8

Huge Member
The other day it was in the 90's and coolant temps got 230+ in stop and go traffic. The car is fine at speeds 30 mph and up as well as at idle with temps around 170-180. I am able to bring the temps down by idling and letting the fan do its thing.

Here's what I can tell you about my cooling system. Radiator cap is good. 160 deg. thermostat is good. F-body radiator is good. I'm not losing or leaking any coolant (actually running water and water wetter). With car at operating temp I can see coolant flowing inside radiator. Low/High speed fans working and come on at 165 and 200 ish respectively. Hoses look good with no pinching or collapsing.

I don't think I have a HG problem, and haven't done anything to have one. I have no unusual exhaust, oil is clean, no bubbles in overflow.

Is it unusual to have this problem just during stop and go traffic? I am running the stock fan, so do you think its just a matter of upgrading to a better fan setup?

I have had the same problem. In my case it was the 160 T-stat. For some reason it stopped opening completely and not letting the water flow giving me idle temps of 200, light driving of 180.

When its cool pop the cap and start her up. Once at 160 you should see good flow in the rad. If not, I would replace the stat. I did, and my now runs 165-170 dead nuts.

Thermostat is good. I already tested that. I'll try the high speed fan trick and let you know. Thanks

NVRL8- I had the same problem with my 85 using the F-body rad, 160 degree thermostat and an 87 fan. My solution was the dual ramcharger fans from GBODYPARTS. My car stays nice and cool. I really have to be into the turbo alot in order to get it to 180 degrees. My 2 cents. Brad

NVRL8- I had the same problem with my 85 using the F-body rad, 160 degree thermostat and an 87 fan. My solution was the dual ramcharger fans from GBODYPARTS. My car stays nice and cool. I really have to be into the turbo alot in order to get it to 180 degrees. My 2 cents. Brad

I was going to suggest that. He didn't say what fan he's using, but I've read that the stock ones 'slow down' as they get older. Switching to dual fans makes a huge difference.

Jim

Dual fans for sure. I just installed dual spals with a hotwire kit from caspers. With an F-body radiator, front mount precision intercooler, 90 degree ambient and the A/C on those fans can pull the coolant right down to the thermostat in no time at all. Huge improvement over the old stock fan. They run for a very short time to do the job. I'm actually looking forward to warmer weather to really put them to the test.

Was looking at the dual fan setup from GBODYPARTS you guys suggest. What exactly does the addition of the Casper's wiring kit do for the fans? Is it just an adapter so the fans fit our cars and is the Casper's kit required/necessary?

Was looking at the dual fan setup from GBODYPARTS you guys suggest. What exactly does the addition of the Casper's wiring kit do for the fans? Is it just an adapter so the fans fit our cars and is the Casper's kit required/necessary?

I think it allows you to retain the high/low fans as well as provides a source of power other than the stock connector. The stock wiring is a bit undersized for the draw of the dual fans but few people have problems with it. I have my fans set on 'race' mode most of the time (they run constantly) and I haven't melted anything (yet?).

Jim

The dual fans I bought from Gbody parts already came with the plug adaptor and the two relays (high and low fan speed). I don't recall buying them seperately but you would have to look into it. The harness had a heavy red lead that you connect to the battery. It draws alot of power. With the way my car idles, it almost stalls when the fans come on but it keeps the temps around 176-179 degrees on a warm day.

I would do a search on those Valeo (ramchargers fan) and then consider buying the more expensive Spal fan. I had a motor fail on the RC fan which caused both fuses to blow on my Racetronix wire harness. I replaced the motor but I think the other motor is about ready to fail too. In this case you get what you pay for. Someone said that Chrysler dumped those fans with a distributor, who sells them cheap to people like us who don't know any better.

PROBLEM SOLVED! Put in the dual RC fans from GBodyParts and in the 90* heat here I couldn't get her above 170*. Thanks for all the help.