Cooling fan Question

ARL

The Legend Lives On!
Trouble shooting fan clutch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackinnon
It's just a resistor to cut the voltage down to the fan for lo-speed... you can jumper/bypass it with 8-10 gauge wire and the fan will run on high whenever it comes on.... if that's what you want...

Help me out on this one, I took off the coil resistor, Checked the wires with a test light and volt meter at the plug from the harness and no light, no volts. The harness is made for a 3 wire plug in to the fan, 1 to the fan, 2 to the coil, 1 from the coil to the fan, so 2 wires to the fan, I took both wires from the harness 1 at a time and made contact with the 1 remaining wire to the fan and nothing. I thougt I should be getting some volts checking them with the light and meter. I got the engine hot enough so the fan should have came on when I made contact with either wire. Is there a relay for the fan or did the coil resister do the work as a relay would?

I think it should only have power when the car is hot enough to kick it on when the computer commands of it..I do know that it is just a ballast resister and you can jump it,i just ran a wire from one side of the resister to the other side.Then when it kicked on it would run on fast speed.Another thing,in that 3 wire harness i would think 1 wire has to be a ground,because the fan housing is plastic.
I just reread it and yes 1 of them should of been hot,maybe a bad relay or fuse?

trouble shooting

Trouble shooting fan clutch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackinnon
It's just a resistor to cut the voltage down to the fan for lo-speed... you can jumper/bypass it with 8-10 gauge wire and the fan will run on high whenever it comes on.... if that's what you want...

Help me out on this one, I took off the coil resistor, Checked the wires with a test light and volt meter at the plug from the harness and no light, no volts. The harness is made for a 3 wire plug in to the fan, 1 to the fan, 2 to the coil, 1 from the coil to the fan, so 2 wires to the fan, I took both wires from the harness 1 at a time and made contact with the 1 remaining wire to the fan and nothing. I thougt I should be getting some volts checking them with the light and meter. I got the engine hot enough so the fan should have came on when I made contact with either wire. Is there a relay for the fan or did the coil resister do the work as a relay would?

This is the site we us to trouble shoot the "stock" fan ....
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance
go to side bar--TROUBLESHOOTING
Top of next page--Fan Circuitry

GREAT SITE....:D

I think it should only have power when the car is hot enough to kick it on when the computer commands of it..I do know that it is just a ballast resister and you can jump it,i just ran a wire from one side of the resister to the other side.Then when it kicked on it would run on fast speed.Another thing,in that 3 wire harness i would think 1 wire has to be a ground,because the fan housing is plastic.
I just reread it and yes 1 of them should of been hot,maybe a bad relay or fuse?

Thanks Guys.. !