Coolest Hybrid

bishir

Serenity Now
What do you think would be the coolest hybrid?

Personally, I think a blacked out 65 Riv w/ the GN style seats. :cool:

Ive always like 1970 Opel GT's, thought about doing a tranplant in the past but theres no little room under the hood.

as soon as i can afford to do it, i'd really like to find a 71-73 vega to swap my motor into. preferable one thats done (tubed, roll bar, that stuff) you can't go wrong with a 2600lb car.

maybe a 71 gs?

83 Shelby Charger

I'm installing a superchaged 3800 hooked to a T-5 and converting it to rear drive in my Dodge Shelby Charger. Love the body style, but the front wheel drive had to go. I was going to do an independent rear, but I'm leaning towards a solid axle for simplicity. Simply because the rampage(el camino type of Charger) used leaf spring mounts so a solid axle bolts in pretty easy. Thes cars only weighed just over 2200 lbs. I'm guessing it'll tip the scales at 2400 with the new drivetrain. :cool:

Around here there are a bunch of shallow water jet boats. Most have outboard Merc's or Johnson's, but there are some with highpowered GM V8 motor's. I thought that having a LC2 powered jet boat would be light weight, compared to the SB and BB Chevy.

Originally posted by jpratt
Around here there are a bunch of shallow water jet boats. Most have outboard Merc's or Johnson's, but there are some with highpowered GM V8 motor's. I thought that having a LC2 powered jet boat would be light weight, compared to the SB and BB Chevy.

Don't forget that an air to water intercooler that'd be impossible to saturate.

I would have to agree on the Vega. In fact, I have 4 of them right now in the yard. I have already built a 77 wagon with a N/A 4.1 that ran really well. It weighed in at 2480 with a full tank of gas and really nothing serious done to shave weight. I had a 73 fastback that I sold back to a freind (I originally bought it from him) that we are going to do a hot air set-up in. In fact the heads are already done. I recently bought a tubbed 72 that I am debating on the future of. It is set-up for a SBC/TH-350 but I have all the stuff to put another Buick V6 in it. Decisions decisions. Anyway, the Chevy Vega rules.

theres a guy that goes to the oklahoma buick vs. ford shoot out with a gn front end(drivetrain and front clip) in a mid 80's
el camino :)

the one that id like to do the most would be a 98ish 2 door blazer with the gn motor and try to make it awd. it would be the new typhoon. as you can tell i love typhoons.

Not like I think about it all the time but here is a short list.

1. 64-65 Skylark
2. 95-00 S-10 ext-cab short bed
3. 31-33 Chevy truck
4. not for sure what the lenght is but a shorty rear eng rail would be fun.
5. almost any car I look at and ask myself, Self how would it fit and how hard would it be??? Oh ya Self how fast would it be???

just some that come off the top of my head.

Ha Lunkan, Keith Olsen out of Enfield Connecticut,USA , had a pretty nasty setup, car pulled the wheels off the ground with a stock turbo with a 240Z. if your out there Keith feel free to jump in Keith,lol. Car went to Florida, who owns the car now?

My buddy Pat and me are working on an 87 GN in an Extreme , it wonte be easy, any help will be Apreciated, by me,lol.

Well, it's been awhile since I've had a chance to check out these message boards. I've been more of a "lurker" in the most recent years. Work has been extremely busy since the summer.
I've pretty much owned a buick turbo car of some sort for over 11 yrs now.
My last Hybrid was a '71 240Z. Car was pro-streeted(ladder bar suspension, 12-bolt, cell, roll bar, full frame. Engine was a very basic build. It had blue stripe injector (some of the new guys are probably saying what is a blue stripe), regulator,basic ported heads, stage 3 "cheetah" turbo (almost stock), '85 spearco front mount IC,stock ECM with a Jay Carter chip. One of my last passes before I sold the car was a 10.58 @ 123. I also ran a 10.66. Weight 2500 lbs (no driver). There was definately more in the car, with some additional engine and chassis tuning. I'm sure the car would have run a low 10. There was a small picture of the car in the All Buick issue of GMHTP a few years back. I sold it to someone in the Miami area, and haven't even heard any mention of it since. Anyone? I was like a teal color, with big Hoosiers out back.
My latest project is an '89 RX7, that I am "Overhaulin" : ) No, I couldn't just throw a GN motor in it and say now I've got a hybrid again, I had to take it a step or two or three further. Now as it sits, it has a four link rear suspension, narrowed 9", 10 point cage, fuel cell, etc. Power plant, GN engine. Ok, yeah, so what lots of people do that. Well this is what makes it not just another Hybrid. I wanted two be a little different and decided to go Twin Turbos. Why the extra work? Doing a hybrid wasn't enough? I wanted it to stand out even more and get that second look. The project started out, to be a few month project (started in April), but work got in the way of that. Hopefully after the Holidays, things will slow up, and I get to make some more progress on the car. I will try to update as things start moving along again. I have a wiring diagram I made, showing the essential wires that need to be hooked up to transplant the GN motor. I will forward to Bob to be posted. I will try to answer questions when I can. I am be no means an expert on Turbo Buicks nor claim to be, this is just my hobby. Looking forward to getting back into the Turbo Buick Community.