Cooler Weather - Dial Settings

Mr86t-type

Guys,

Since I've gotten Razers Kit, my dial settings have been around his Factory setting of 5.5 on the controller, now this has been since May and the warmer weather, and that has been working fine, with Zero knock on my ~12.70-80@106-107mph 21PSI set up, Otherwise Stock (BPU Upgrades). Well Yesterday it was Cooler ~65degrees, so I Took a Track Visit. Now on the way there I did a Test Blast and got a Lot of Knock Retard, up to 9 degrees Highest, and my fuel and 02 numbers were OK (800's down to ~780, my Standard 21-22#'s boost and 26/24timing), so I figured OK, turn up the Controller to 6.1, Retested and it was perfect, got to the Track and by the time I made my first pass (3 hours later) it had warmed up to ~71, so I bumped DOWN the controller to 5.9(due to the warm-up from 65-71), made my pass and got CRAZY Retard/Knock:

60'- 1.888
330'- 5.255
1/8th- 8.098 (3.2 degrees 54mph settling down to 0)(8.1 at 62mph settling
down to 0)
MPH- 86.40 (3.5 @ 88mph as the Lock-up kick in settling back down to 0)
1000- 10.562
1/4- 12.644@108.05

All data from Powermaster with Scanmaster fast update chip..

So my next pass I bump up the Controller just a hair back up to 6.1, and Same thing, almost Identical knock..but I turned UP the controller going down the track, and that stopped it (12.765@107.25 btw)

So I had to leave, so later that afternoon I installed my Fuel gauge, to check pressure, and did some more test passes, this time I had the Controller on 6.9-7.0, and ZERO knock on four 0-110mph passes, and 66psi @ 21-22#'s boost...The BIG Question is
that with only a Stock Set up why should I need THAT much Meth??
Now I do have Stock injectors, but the Duty Cycle on PL only goes to a High of 102% on 1 or 2 frames, and stays @ 93-98% most of the time.....

Cooler weather requires more fuel. Old school Buick 101 tuning :D

Your adding alky to make up for a lack of fuel.

Maxed out Injectors then...funny thing is, on my TTA I got 115mph out of my Stock injectors, and the Duty Cycle in PL is only 95% (although 1 or two frames were 101%)...my 02's as I said above were ~840 dropping to 780 by the end of the run....

Hey 86T what track were u at. I was at e-town on friday night, nice times what are your mods?

Yeah, I ran into this problem over the weekend with cooler temps too. Had to bump up the gain knob a notch and problem solved.

Well, just brokedown and ordered some 60#'ers from Eric, but here's a few other guys that HAVE gone 116mph on the stock injectors:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...200172-how-fast-stock-injectors-11-50-me.html

See the issue sometimes is not whether something can be done or should be attempted. Racing an engine with 20+ year old injectors is already a big question mark.. the racing an engine with injectors that are static is another big no-no.. now racing 20 year old injectors at static levels and expecting wonderful things..

Good move on getting the larger injectors. Buy them now or latter. Better now.

Fwiw, the fastest stock turbo car ran 11.37 at 116.50. Duty cycle run on his 009's equaled 30 lbs worth of fuel... meaning it could have been done on stock injectors. Not that it was done. ;)

Julio, still having an Issue with this, to get Zero Knock, I have my Dial set at ~7.4 (Default settings in the Pac) at 25PSI and 24/23 timing, with my fuel at +6.8%, O2's are always ~799-800 in 3rd, and gauge is at 66psi..any lower than
that dial setting andI get a little knock....(Oh yea, I do have '60's now and I'm at ~58%duty cycle)

There is no issue with running the knob on 7 or 8. Some cars need more than others. If you turn down the alcohol, it will detonate. If you see knock.. turn up the alky.

Some engines have more carbon than others, some have more blowby, there are a lot of factors. Factor 1.. get the knock out.. turn the knob up.

Understand also that cooler weather requires more fuel with these cars. And understand the false/real knock issues. In high gear, at 100 MPH the O2's should be well into the upper 700's/lower 800's when using the AFS20 O2 sensor.

When you can.. if you have trouble call me and i'll walk you through it.