Convertor suggestions

2FAST4U

We're considering swapping the torque convertor in my uncle's '87 T to see if we can gain some precious ET and 60' time. His current combo is a bone stock longblock (50K miles) with 100# valve springs, 50 # MSD's, TA49 w/ PTE housing, MJ 17 row intercooler, 2600 MMC Blue streak convertor, 3:42 gears,
Walbro 340 pump, 26x10 MT slicks, rebuilt trans and basic combo tuning stuff. The car has run a best of 7.44 @ 93 with a 1.62 60' time in the 1/8. We've had good luck with the blue streak in the car since we installed it when he was running in the 7.80 range.
He is wondering if he is giving-up anything in the torque convertor area by running a 12" restalled convertor. We're wondering if there isn't something to be gained in the 60' with a different convertor (better torque multiplication, etc.) . I've normally used the blue, red, orange (whatever color of the week) convertors with good results. I swapped to the 9.5" Vigilante single disc lock-up in my car and noticed a remarkable
seat of the pants feel with this convertor. I broke my crank shortly
thereafter, so I never got any track times with it. He is eyeballing both the Vigilante and Bruce's 9X11 convertor.

I am looking for a recommendation and comparison for the convertor. How does the 9X11 convertor compare with the the Vigilante? What stall would you recommend for his car?

My brother-in-law also has a '86 T with a similar combo and he's trying to decide on a new convertor too. The same convertor should be good for both of these cars.

Thanks!

Just installed my 9x11 with a 2800 stall and so far I love it! Just haven't really hammered it yet so i don't have any real opinion. It feels good breaking it in though.

Crazi...? Where did you purchase it?

Bruce
WE4

:D :D :D
I bought it from some guy of this board named Bruce. He works at some company named Performance Transmissions. And as far as I can tell it works some kinda good!!!:cool:

I would say talk this Bruce guy. He is very knowledgable and as soon as I get everything worked out and save up some funds, I am going to buy one of his bulletproof trannies just to see if it will stop a bullet.;)

Thanks Bruce!

originally posted by WE4

Crazi...? Where did you purchase it?

originally posted by Crazi

I bought it from some guy of this board named Bruce.

This reminds me of an old David Letterman skit! :D Hehe