Converting from a 200R4 what else works good?

rosewood turbo

Im thinking about changing out the 200R4 to something else, this one has a problem and its expensive to replace. I have a TH400 and a 4L60E on the floor, would these work, what would, whats involved in making a different trany work on our turbo cars?

Do a search on the 400s .. lots of guys running them.. they either love it or hate it :p

A lot of the Buick GS owners like the Switch Pitch TH400. They have 2 stall speeds in 1 convertor. The 400 can be made bulletproof for cheap. With the 4L60E you need the computer to control it. Aftermarket computers are Mega $$.

The 200, 700, 4l60(5)e are going to be limited to around 550-600 horse.
The 400 and 4l80e will hold 1000 plus easy for several seasons.
Clutch surface are is just not there in the smaller OD units.

What are your goals with your car? Are you doing mostly cruising or quarter runs. If quarter runs use the TH400. If not a 200 can be built very strong and reliable but it will cost some $. The 4L60 is not a stronger or worthwhile option over a well prepped 200-4R.

Dailey driver some track time, our locall is 1/8th mile. Im not looking to go over 450hp, gas is too high for that. It has W307 w/hotwire, 42.5's, TA49 w/bigmouth bell, bigger exhaust side, bigger downpipe with dump, soon to have RJC power plate and boost controller, has built trany w/2800 stall. I have not got it running yet so I have no idea of current HP levels. I like the 200 but previous owner said it never acted right (screwy shift points) after rebuild, I just dont want to dump a grand into a trans. Advice ???????

The 200, 700, 4l60(5)e are going to be limited to around 550-600 horse.
The 400 and 4l80e will hold 1000 plus easy for several seasons.
Clutch surface are is just not there in the smaller OD units.

Not entirely true...I ran the same 200-4R in my car for years...probably 100 mid 10 second runs at 128-131 MPH...never dynoed the car but estimated HP at 3700 lbs would be over 600...probably around 640-650...if they are built right they will last...the old trans was still going strong but decided to retire it after 5 years...I have a new built 200 in there now and plan to push it further...

I like the 200 but previous owner said it never acted right (screwy shift points) after rebuild, I just dont want to dump a grand into a trans. Advice ???????

Might want to drop the trans pan and verify it has the correct brf valve body. You indicate it started acting up after a rebuild and the rebuilder might not have put the same valve body back in, causing the problems.

if you plan on driving it everyday i'ld keep the 200, i'm switching to a th 350 but its mostly street raced went with a manual vb. so i didn't have to rig up the vacum modulator or kickdown

Dailey driver some track time, our locall is 1/8th mile. Im not looking to go over 450hp, gas is too high for that. It has W307 w/hotwire, 42.5's, TA49 w/bigmouth bell, bigger exhaust side, bigger downpipe with dump, soon to have RJC power plate and boost controller, has built trany w/2800 stall. I have not got it running yet so I have no idea of current HP levels. I like the 200 but previous owner said it never acted right (screwy shift points) after rebuild, I just dont want to dump a grand into a trans. Advice ???????

A 200 dual fed with a billet drum will last a long long time in an application like yours. Clutch capacity is not a problem. The resulting shaft breakage when recalibrating to deal with the torque breaks parts. Clutch failure is not common these days in a properly built 200.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will drop it and go through a few things. Anyone have a good VB if I need it? Is there a trustworthy trany guy i the SC,NC,TN,GA region thats recomended here? I used a locall guy once, the price was double the quote once it was done, so never again.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will drop it and go through a few things. Anyone have a good VB if I need it? Is there a trustworthy trany guy i the SC,NC,TN,GA region thats recomended here? I used a locall guy once, the price was double the quote once it was done, so never again.

Don't believe everything you read. A race prepped 2004r can take alot more than 600hp. With the right parts they will last..800hp seems to be the number that the tend to give up.:D

True I have seen some fast TR w 200R4's but then a lot of then that had glide's. Id like to stay 200 but I guess to do that I need to learn how to build them or find a good person who can.

CK performance has a "how-to" book that you can purchase. If you don't have any experience with transmissions..you might be in over your head trying to build one. Sometimes its worth shelling out the coin to have on done right the first time.

Never done an auto but many engines and 4-5 speeds. I keep seeing this gcsm or g something? book listed on ebay about 200's, just didnt know if it was worth a flip.

True I have seen some fast TR w 200R4's but then a lot of then that had glide's. Id like to stay 200 but I guess to do that I need to learn how to build them or find a good person who can.

If you cant find someone local then put it on a pallet and ship it to one of the sponsors on this board. You dont want to think you are getting a good trans you need to know it. You wont be wrong going with these guys.

True last thing I want to do is spend the $$ and get ripped. Without causing a fight who is the best "sponsored" trany person? If you cant say here PM it.

My vote is for board member Brian on this site. His stuff just flat out works. I have referred at least 5 guys about Brian's work and all 5 have nothing but good things to say. For your goals, get the right guy to do your 200R4 and you wil happy. Looks like you just have not found that love connection as yet(with a tranny guy). Give Brian a call, he will fix you up.