Converter

87chrisss

BLUBYU
How to tell if i have a High Performance stall or a POS stall converter? my converter has no imprints or label no d5 its just a dark grey stall converter seems to be between 9.5-11" it seems to stall near 2600-2800 cant really tell because my scanmaster RPM will jump from 2500 - 2900 and my tires will spin in between that ive tried slowly but the scanmaster is confusing me. cant find out true stall.. on WOT i feel my car might overev sometime not sure if the chip is set up for a higher rpm cut off or if the stall is just giving out or something? maybe i need a new stall the tranny shifts hard and tight... sometimes ifeel like the engine just freespins on top @ wot hard to explain? maybe its because its not locking up on wot? the tcc solenoid did go out on me i just ordered a new one will be replacing it today or tomorrow

I am going to Reply to this just hoping somebody will get pissed off enough to respond. From what I have been reading High Speed Torque convertors really have a hard time locking up till they reach their stall speed, but some people disagree even with that...and a lot of High Stall Convertors can have up to 20-30% Slipage...It also seems to me that a lot are crap right out of the box, really easy to fake, just paint an old one a new color and sell it as new. I would say get a good Name brand with a strong warrantee. I am having second thoughts about even putting one in, might just stay with the stock one until I can find a good used B & M one...I just hate the sound of 20 -30 % of slippage. I tried out a brand new Chevy Cobalt a few months ago...And that trans was Slipping like crazy...the Salesman didn't even know what I was talking about...But then Chevy could never make a good small car either....

How to tell if i have a High Performance stall or a POS stall converter? my converter has no imprints or label no d5 its just a dark grey stall converter seems to be between 9.5-11" it seems to stall near 2600-2800 cant really tell because my scanmaster RPM will jump from 2500 - 2900 and my tires will spin in between that ive tried slowly but the scanmaster is confusing me. cant find out true stall.. on WOT i feel my car might overev sometime not sure if the chip is set up for a higher rpm cut off or if the stall is just giving out or something? maybe i need a new stall the tranny shifts hard and tight... sometimes ifeel like the engine just freespins on top @ wot hard to explain? maybe its because its not locking up on wot? the tcc solenoid did go out on me i just ordered a new one will be replacing it today or tomorrow

You'll never know without cutting it open. All you can tell from a foot brake test is what it stalls. Watch the scanmaster and the boost gauge to see when you build 0-1# of boost. This rpm will be your stall #. If you are at 2600 when the tire spins and still don't have 1# of boost then your stall is higher than 2600 rpm.

I am going to Reply to this just hoping somebody will get pissed off enough to respond. From what I have been reading High Speed Torque convertors really have a hard time locking up till they reach their stall speed, but some people disagree even with that...and a lot of High Stall Convertors can have up to 20-30% Slipage...It also seems to me that a lot are crap right out of the box, really easy to fake, just paint an old one a new color and sell it as new. I would say get a good Name brand with a strong warrantee. I am having second thoughts about even putting one in, might just stay with the stock one until I can find a good used B & M one...I just hate the sound of 20 -30 % of slippage. I tried out a brand new Chevy Cobalt a few months ago...And that trans was Slipping like crazy...the Salesman didn't even know what I was talking about...But then Chevy could never make a good small car either....

Yes an improperly spec'd converter can have as much as 20-30%. Buying a used converter is like rolling the dice unless it came out of another Buick and you know how it worked.

A higher stall converter increases performance by raising the stall speed. Raising the stall will increase slip to a certain degree but the car will go faster with better 60 foot times and better torque multiplication. You just don't want one too loose.