Converter won't unlock

squeeze87

HI,
Well, I adjusted the tv cable (maybe too far??) and noticed the shift points were quite high and very hard. Driving around yesterday the tc didn't want to downshift to 1st and unlock and it stalled the car! I mean it was just like a stick shift coming to a halt without pushing in the clutch, It was chugging and bucking and then died. I know the tc can't lock in 1st so thats why I say it wouldnt downshift. This appears to be a periodic not constant problem. All i did was change fluid & filter and adjust cable. What could be causing this?? Thanks

Actually, the TCC can lock up in first if the TCC valve in the pump sticks in the 'apply' position. If that were the case though, it would also be locked in Park, Reverse and Neutral, killing the engine when the shifter is placed in reverse/drive.

I suspect that you have a combination of a sticking TCC solenoid and something sticking in the VB. How old is your solenoid?

No clue

I really don't know how old the solenoid is. I never changed it since i owned the car. Is it expensive or hard to replace?
thanks.

The solenoid is about $30. Replacing it is not much harder than the fluid and filter change you just did.

Pull the pan & filter, disconnect the harness from the case connector and remove the two 10mm solenoid-retaining bolts. If you use a clean drain pan, you can reuse your new fluid and filter. Reverse procedure to reassemble.

soloniod

HI,
Where can I buy a solonoid, is it available at an auto parts store?
I didn't see one in my postons catalog. Thanks