converter out of balance?

TurboSpeed

I have a 2800 stall converter that when i bolt it to the flywheel the flywheel is wooblying and when i unbolt it the flywheel is tru. Is that a unbalanced converter. and what will it do if i run it like that.

I have a 2800 stall converter that when i bolt it to the flywheel the flywheel is wooblying and when i unbolt it the flywheel is tru. Is that a unbalanced converter. and what will it do if i run it like that.

you can always bring it to a torque convertor shop and have them check for run out... they can cut it, balance and weld it back..... OR you can run it, possibly snap your input shaft and ruin your transmission pump and have other internal damage.... YOU MAKE THE CALL:eek::eek::eek:

ps what convertor are you running???

Its a boss hog from poston buick, i paid 350.00 or so for it, I dont know if they balance those or not, i would think all converters are balanced.
Ive had problems with the front cam bearing wearing real bad, i think its from the converter. What do you think? thanks for the help.

Are you sure the converter hub fits completely in the register hole of the crank? Do the converter bosses make positive contact with the flexplate bolt holes before the bolts are installed?

That sounds like a badly assembled T/C. The flexplate runout should not change by bolting the T/C to it.
Remove the trans, make sure the flexplate runount is within .005", bolt the T/C to it and check the hub runout. I'll bet your going to find some crazy numbers.

15 grams!!

if the converter balance is out over 15 grams you'll feel that for sure. It's probably mis-balanced. Most modern machinery get the hub and the pilot aligned pretty good.

MAKE SURE THE PILOT IS GM SPEC....

.... i have personally seen a HIGH DOLLAR BILLET TC with the INCORRECT SIZE Pilot!!!!

I will check when i get home, as for the hub and flexpate it lines up good, i think the t/c was my problem the whole time as far as engine vibration.

Its a boss hog from poston buick, i paid 350.00 or so for it, I dont know if they balance those or not, i would think all converters are balanced.
Ive had problems with the front cam bearing wearing real bad, i think its from the converter. What do you think? thanks for the help.
Would not affect the front camshaft bearing.

if the converter balance is out over 15 grams you'll feel that for sure. It's probably mis-balanced. Most modern machinery get the hub and the pilot aligned pretty good.

If the alignment of the converter components were proper, the flexplate runout would not change when you bolt the T/C to it. I've seen grossly out of alignment T/Cs come off modern machinery. It doesn't matter how up to date the machinery is, it's all in how careful the operator of the machinery is.

The converter could actually be balanced correctly on a balancing machine, but if the converter components are mis-aligned, you will have vibration when you install it.

The finish of the cam journal itself. I never install a cam without giving the cam journals a good polishing.