converter locking question

VandaLL

wastegate cleaner
my torque converter is locking up too soon and too often. i don't know if it's supposed to, but it locks up in 3rd gear (i always have it in 3rd unless i'm on the freeway) and it's really annoying. i have a Jet 200-4R in my 72 Skylark as well and that only locks up in 4th, which is what i would prefer.. are the ones in the TR's supposed to lock in any gear, but only over a certain speed? is it adjustable? does this sound like a TCC solenoid problem? :confused:

thanks for any advice!!

The TR's have preasure switches that tell the ECM if it is in 3rd or 4th. That being said, the computer controls the lockup in 3rd and 4th based on several different parameters. If you don't want lockup in 3rd, you can have one of the chip makers on this board to burn you one that doesn't lock in 3rd at any speed or only under conditions that you specify.

HTH

Mine locks up early, too. Ever since I had the trans rebuilt for whatever reason. It locks and bogs the car down.

You can easily wire up a TCC cut-out switch by grounding a wire at the brake pedal - I think it's a purple one but it's been a while. When you ground it the ECM thinks the brake has been applied and unlocks the converter. There is a whole list of switches you can add in your TR in the tech articles section of www.gnttype.org.

Jim

awesome! thanks for the info.. i think i will have a chip burned eventually for modifications so that would work. thanks again :)