Converter Efficiency

Russ Merritt said:
You have a 700R4 lock-up solenoid in there I hope? BIG dif between the 200 and 700 in performance.

I bet it was the trans slippin 2/3 shift.

I have a new Solenoid I installed last year, but I believe it was for a 200. It could have been the 2-3 shift because the converter locked up at the top of 2nd sending more power through the trans.

Can you remember if it had spacers between the solenoid and the case?

Forget about WOT lock-ups with a 200 solenoid. they simply are unreliable if they even work at all. Your lookin for consistant WOT lock-up the 700 is the only choice. When I was at PTS last November, Bruce had a test bench for switches and solenoids and showed me how much better the 700 solenoid is. I won't install anything else in any rebuilds or trans services I do.

Russ Merritt said:
Can you remember if it had spacers between the solenoid and the case?

Forget about WOT lock-ups with a 200 solenoid. they simply are unreliable if they even work at all. Your lookin for consistant WOT lock-up the 700 is the only choice. When I was at PTS last November, Bruce had a test bench for switches and solenoids and showed me how much better the 700 solenoid is. I won't install anything else in any rebuilds or trans services I do.

That's interesting and the first time I have heard that mentioned. I honestly don't remember if there were spacers, but it's been reliable so far in locking the converter. Does the 700 solenoid just drop right in? I would like to get a deep pan with drain plug & bottom feeder, but that's another story.

You had said that the converter or trans might have slipped...... Lets make sure you have the right solenoid in there before the converter takes the rap again.

Yes it's a bolt in and comes with the little spacers required.

Russ Merritt said:
You had said that the converter or trans might have slipped...... Lets make sure you have the right solenoid in there before the converter takes the rap again.

Yes it's a bolt in and comes with the little spacers required.

Now that I have watched the Turbolink log again, I'm wondering if the tires spun a little because the speedometer jumped from 58 mph-74 mph in between frames and most times it only increases by 10-12 at the most. This was right at the time it locked around 53-58 mph at the top of 2nd then shifted to 3rd. It appears is if the power came through because of the mph change, but man did the rpms drop. They went from 5600 rpms to 4025 in 3rd and locked. The speed of acceleration didn't go down because I usually measure the mph changes in between frames and it was still increasing at 12 mph per frame until 100 mph where it dropped to 9.

I'm a big fan of using Turbolink, but with the car starting to get faster with each mod, I'm going to get direct scan because I guess alot can happen in-bween these 10-12 mph jumps. Plenty of fuel up there and no knock after lockup and shift makes me :). I will try and post a screen shot of the run.

Attachments

• 87 GN Test log 3-24-2006.doc
    84 KB · Views: 68
This was from the night before on the same road while racing the EVO with the converter unlocked. What a big difference in rpms at 95 mph in 3rd unlocked vs locked.

Attachments

• 87 GN Test log 3-23-2006.doc
    84 KB · Views: 71
I'm also debating whether to put in a 10.5" Pro-Torque lockup converter I have. Its a 3000 stall and I'm worried its not going to hit hard enough on the low end. Plus with only a single disc I'm worried about frying the clutch if I keep locking it. I could use the converter on my GN instead so it will still go to good use.

I currently have an older 9" Art Carr converter. Hits hard on the low end but its real inefficient and killing my top end. Its so loose I'm running out of rpm on 28" tires and my mph is only 112. Considering getting a multi-disc lockup with around 3200 stall. Should spool better and the lockup should last longer.

It would be interesting to see your rpm drops on the shifts with Directscan on your current converter. This can help tell if its too loose. When I had the Pro-Torque installed with the stock turbo, I had around 900rpm drop on the new converter between shifts. When I locked the converter, it only dropped 700 rpm or so. It seemed like a very tight converter. Only a 2-3mph difference between locked and unlocked in the 1/4 mile. My current converter only drops 300 rpm or so on the shifts, plus I'm hitting 5500rpm at 112mph on 28" tires.