convert 84 GN motor to 87?

northwoodsathom

Anyone have info or performed a conversion from 84 GN motor to 87?
I have an 84 GN complete motor and would like to update to an 87 before
puting in project car. Will it need an 87 intake and turbo?
Thanks

It will take an ECM, upper plenum, intake manifold, wiring harness, front accessories and mounts, electric cooling fan/relay, headers/downpipe, turbo, throttle body/linkage, intercooler/fan/shroud, and a few other bolt on things from an '86-'87 TR. The hardest part is plugging the '84-'85 turbo oil drain hole, and making a new one in the front of the block(drilled and tapped). Try Brian at gbodyparts.com for the conversion stuff.

convert 84 motor to 87

Thanks for the info!!!
Sounds like a lot of effort to convert. Any other way to intercool?
I am probably going to have to re-build anyway. How about other
mods to boost HP? Thanks

The heater core, fuel lines and tranny dip stick tube are all different too. having a complete 87 donor car is nice since things like the coilpack bracket and accessory bracket are hard to find otherwise. You also have to do a little wiring. I just did this last weekend. :cool:

(Quote) "The hardest part is plugging the '84-'85 turbo oil drain hole"

The oil drain hole on the 84/85 Hot Air is on the Intake Manifold.

I am in the middle of making the jump from the Hot Air to the IC. With everything that needs to be changed out, I am also going ahead and using a 109 block. I found one at the junk yard. The only mod that has to be made is drilling the 1/4" npt hole in the front for the turbo drain. While the engine and tranny is out, I am also doing a rehab on the entire engine bay; scrubbing everything out and spraying undercoat on just about everything including the firewall. This will make the engine bay look good as well as protect it.

i just built a 87 motor from scratch and parted out my 84 motor. i found all mine on ebay the most expensive part is buying a 200.00 tap for the oil drain hole. :eek: :eek: :eek: just look for a 109 block that has the hole in it already.

its more like a 3/4 hole, but more likley metric i dont remember... on the drain tube there is a brass adapter that is used..

For the drain you could always run a line to the pan, couldn't you? I hear this also prolongs the life of the front cam bearing, etc, because the hot oil from the turbo isn't dumped right on them. Any idea on that?

Squid

that would be easier to mount the turbo, because of fussing with lining up the original drain tube. just have to know where the level is in the pan and make the hole above that. it would work.

gotta be a misprint

$200 for a tap!!!!!!
The drain hole is 1/2 in. NPT.
Very easy to drill and tap an 84-85 block to recieve the adapter.
Tranfer the measurements off an 87 block.
Doesn't have to be brain surgery

I agree with Lee- its a 1/2" NPT thread- a normal drill and plumbing tap will do probably less than $25. for both at any home depot or lowes. If you were willing to pay $200. for a standard pipe tap , i got in bridge in brooklyn id like to sell you!

the wrath said:
Where Do U Put The Fuel Filter On This Swap 87's Have One On The Frame Hot Airs Dont

What's up Derrick? I always run the 84 Corvette fuel filter between the gas tank and the hard line hose. Just cut and fit that in between the rubber hose.

HTH
Prasad

It will take an ECM, upper plenum, intake manifold, wiring harness, front accessories and mounts, electric cooling fan/relay, headers/downpipe, turbo, throttle body/linkage, intercooler/fan/shroud, and a few other bolt on things from an '86-'87 TR. The hardest part is plugging the '84-'85 turbo oil drain hole, and making a new one in the front of the block(drilled and tapped). Try Brian at gbodyparts.com for the conversion stuff.
So I can put 87 parts on a 84 motor? Looking to do the same with my 1984 buick t type