Control Arm Bushings

mystic664

I am going to be replacing all my control arm bushings and want to know any tricks to make the job easier on me. If theres a link to a "How To", that would be nice also. Thanks

If you are changing front upper control arm bushings, it will take some time for the passenger side. You will need to remove your downpipe and header. I paid to have it done, and it was very expensive because of the labor hours. If you can do it yourself, it is well worth it.

I am going to be replacing all, front lowers and uppers and rears. I also plan on replacing the springs while I have it apart. If anybody has any suggestions on springs that would be nice. I was just going to buy MOOG brand unless I hear something different. Thanks

If you are changing front upper control arm bushings, it will take some time for the passenger side. You will need to remove your downpipe and header. I paid to have it done, and it was very expensive because of the labor hours. If you can do it yourself, it is well worth it.

your mechanic must not have much experience with turbo cars
no need to remove header for passenger upper just pop the bolts out of the frame and the arm will lift right out , its easier with dp out of the way but it can be done , with aftermarket down pipes it even easier .

youll want to get a GM control arm bushing removal kit to change out the bushings once the arm is off the car , might want to check on the balljoints while your at it

I plan on check the ball joint while I am in there. I live just minutes from Summit Racing and can get what ever I need pretty easily. Maybe they sell a tool to get them out. How can you tell if your ball joints are bad? Thanks

for rears rjc sells a tool for the bushings in the axle ears, only safe way to go

to change out the rear arm bushings i use a 2lb sledge , the bushing driver from the RJC kit , a peice of muffler pipe ,a 1 1/8" peice of 1/8 steel strap bent into a J (slide around bushing to prevent arms from collapsing while you drive bushings out and back in ) and some wd40

your mechanic must not have much experience with turbo cars
no need to remove header for passenger upper just pop the bolts out of the frame and the arm will lift right out , its easier with dp out of the way but it can be done , with aftermarket down pipes it even easier .

youll want to get a GM control arm bushing removal kit to change out the bushings once the arm is off the car , might want to check on the balljoints while your at it

OR just buy new GM control arms :confused: :cool: