Considering trading my 02 Z06 for a GN

Botch1980

I am seriously considering trading my 02 Z06 for an 87 GN + cash depending on the car. The car has 31,XXX miles on it with a 100% squeaky clean title. It is a daily driver so that will change slightly. I bought the car in 2005 with 12,XXX miles and have used it as my DD since then. That time has included 2 6 month deployments with the Navy for which the car was stored in a controled garage and cared for properly. It has a few very minor marks from pebbles etc, but is in excellent shape even for a 30,000 mile car. It has always been cared for just as a car like a Z06 should be. I bought it to make into a road race T1 car, but with my job I haven't been able to get to the track even 1 time in the time that I owned it. I have had a reliable accelerometer register at 1.1 lateral Gs on the street tires on it now without even being close to out of control. I have all of the factory parts including the exhaust. Any other questions feel free to send me a pm.

Modifications are:
CCW polished wheels 18" front 19" rear to keep stock stance ($3,500 new)
Caravaggio seats
Corsa Competition Titanium Cat back exhaust (rare)
matching e-brake handle/shift boot
Carbon fiber intake
Lowered on all factory parts so it can be easily returned to stock ride height by turning a few bolts
Dyno tuned by Ed Hutchings (very respected LSX tuner in VA) 367hp/361tq
Suspension work done/tuned by Danny Popp (RAFT Racing HQ)
Kicker Competition CVR12 Subwoofer in cargo box w/Kicker amp. Quick disconnects for easy removal for storage or track
Kenwood Head unti w/ BOSE interface

The pics:
IMG_0904.jpg

(Factory exhaust)
xIMG_2023.jpg

5_958b2_e1f96356_oj.jpg

Sub W/cover removed
Sub.jpg

Sub W/cover installed
Cover.jpg

(Corsa Exhaust)
IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

12-31Dyno.jpg

And a video on the dyno:

I have an 87 GN with all the goodies. Only 62,000 miles.
Not sure how much cash I could scrape up though. I sold my 03 Z06 for the GN. I kind of miss the Corvette Challenges

Please post what you are looking for. I have an 86' that will be getting tuned in the next few weeks with a fresh built motor. The Z06 would look good in the garage!:biggrin: Thanks Jon Hanson

I have both, and have already repurchased my 02 Z06 after having sold it to a good friend of mine for a year. You can't go wrong with either car, but the Z will most certainly make for a better daily driver given the age difference. If you get a beater GN, you will be constantly working on it. If you get a nice, low mileage GN, you will not want to drive it everyday, as it is already a 20 year old car that has a large part of its value tied to its low mileage and condition. I say keep the Z, and buy a driver GN. The best of both worlds! Thanks, Counterman.

you have to be kidding :confused: :confused:

OK... I had better explain before I have all of you thinking I am totally nuts!

I love my Z06. Absolutely love it. I am considering looking at new Tahoes to better fit my current situation. I don't want the big payments of the Tahoe as well as the Vette but I just can't give up having a car that I love. I have wanted a GN since I was a kid so why look into getting one!

I haven't decided for sure if I am going to sell the Vette, I'm just seeing what is out there. I need to have that "family" vehicle and have my fun at the same time. I am currently looking at some used Tahoes as well and if I can swing it that way then the Vette probably stays. I really do love that car! The GN would follow as I the Vette gets paid off...

I don't know if that made a bit of sense, I typed it and I'm not sure I understood!

As to the question of what I am looking for in a GN. If I give up the Vette I want something nice. VERY nice. I am open to anything from a clean stocker to a modified car that isn't too extreme to drive on a regular basis. I am a fan of the 87 and pretty much set on that year only.

I have an 87 GN with all the goodies. Only 62,000 miles.
Not sure how much cash I could scrape up though. I sold my 03 Z06 for the GN. I kind of miss the Corvette Challenges

Any advice on how much I would miss my Z if I got rid of her and added a GN to the garage.

I am a fan of the 87 and pretty much set on that year only.

For whatever it is worth, the 86 is identical to the 87 except for the little chrome strip on the grill of the 86's, which can easily swapped for an 87 grill. :cool: Only mechanical difference is 86 supposedly had 5 or 10 hp less because of different computer chip. Nobody uses the stock chip anyways, so it's no big deal. :D

dude...I love my FRC...I've been offered a really nice GN as trade and I contimplated it...but then I put soem sticky BFG KD's on it and I don't want rid of the vette. Both cars are collector items. Hard decision bro.

You want to hear the worst part?? Posting this ad makes me realize how much I love my Z!!!!!! I am hopeful that I will be able to keep it, but keep those offers coming. There are some fantastic GNs out there that might help to ease my pain if I do have to part ways with her in the near future!

I say sell the Vette and get a sick modified GN. You'll never go wrong as far as speed and comfort. Also, the Gn is classic and rare. I see a lot of Vette's cruising around here and for some reason, they always seem to hang out way behind me??????

Any advice on how much I would miss my Z if I got rid of her and added a GN to the garage.

Look at the 2 cars mod for mod, GN mods are about 1/3 the price of Vette mods. Plus insurance on a GN is practically free compared to the Vette.
You can always buy another Vette, GN's are no longer made.
The Vette loses value every day, the GN gains it.
Chicks dig the Vette, hate the GN.
Family fits in a GN, not a Vette.
Buick guys are cool, Vette guys are a-holes (for the most part)
Guys who are not well endowed drive Vettes, everyone drives GN's
The GN is 25 years older and will whip the Vette's butt in a race, now thats fun.

Wow, I just came up with more positives for the GN.

Tough choice, both are great cars. My best advice, whichever one you have, you will wish you had the other...

If I had to choose between one or the other I'd still keep the corvette. That said, I'm looking to get back into another grand national. The gn's are unique and can be made as fast or faster than the corvette without alot of work but there are obvious trade offs. The c5 z06 is an excellent all around performer. It stops well, handles well, goes well and even gets good fuel mileage. The reliability of the t56/ls1 combo is pretty well established at this point too. The corvette obviously has a lack of room, ground clearance and high prices for parts but that's water under the bridge at this point. Looks are subjective and buying or not buying a car based on your perception of what the other drivers are like or what people will think about you in it is foolish at best. The focus of each car is clearly very different. I basically swapped my grand national for a z06 but I want to pick up a gn to add to the stable. Both cars are pretty cool.

Look at the 2 cars mod for mod, GN mods are about 1/3 the price of Vette mods. Plus insurance on a GN is practically free compared to the Vette.
You can always buy another Vette, GN's are no longer made.
The Vette loses value every day, the GN gains it.
Chicks dig the Vette, hate the GN.
Family fits in a GN, not a Vette.
Buick guys are cool, Vette guys are a-holes (for the most part)
Guys who are not well endowed drive Vettes, everyone drives GN's
The GN is 25 years older and will whip the Vette's butt in a race, now thats fun.

Wow, I just came up with more positives for the GN.

Tough choice, both are great cars. My best advice, whichever one you have, you will wish you had the other...

Wait a minute, chicks dig my GN!:biggrin:

Well...on the value discussion...yes, the GN gains value...but when I was shopping for an FRC I noticed 97-99 model Vettes were all worth the same if the mileage was the same. Your starting to see them hit a nice residual mark. I don't think a Vette is a bad investment.

Nice frc's have settled into the upper teens to low twenties. I have a friend who just sold an 27k mile 99 frc for $22k--and he was delighted. I don't think you will see the Z06 cars fall below $22-25k anytime soon--if ever. They have definitely leveled off. My cousin bought a decent 02 Z for $28k six months ago, and I gave $30k for my 02 last year after having sold it for that amount in 06. Nice low mileage GN's are on the rise. You can find good cars for $8-12k, BUT truly nice cars are pushing upper teens to low $20ks now. Do not discount how much $ you will spend to turn a stock GN into a reliable 11sec car with no problems. You always hear how someone put a GN into the 9's with a tank of race gas, a K&N filter, and a six pack of beer, but the reality is usually different. These old cars are hands down the Big Dog when things are good, but that ain't always the case. Look around the forums. Plenty of people spend lots of cash to keep and make these cars run as hard as they do. For every guy who spent $100 and made 700hp, there are probably 10 who have spent $10k and haven't gotten the car out of the driveway yet. Just look at our supporting vendors. Who are they selling these TR parts too? US, that's who! I have owned my Z06 since new (9-11-01) except for one year, and have had my GN since 1993. Both are great cars, but very different. In general, a stock Z06 will shred a GN at the same horsepower level on the street. A few years ago, both of my cars were nearly stock and in the 12.60 bracket. At that level, my GN mph'ed at 109 while the Z would do 116 in the quarter. A 116 mph GN would be capable of low 11's at least. The Z06 will sprint to 160 mph without trying. You can't do that with a GN. I wouldn't sell either one for the other, but I would leave my saddle on the horse you already have if you can't have both. Thanks, Counterman.