Considering this 1987 GN, what do you think?

DarkKnight

Brand new to all this so let me know how it sounds.

The price is right, basically I just would like to know about the mods on the car. Does it have good parts?

I know LS1 cars (Z28, WS6, etc...) and can tell you the difference between someone who knew what they were doing and some idiot but I have NO REAL CLUE on these cars. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Here's the list from the guy's post:

"1987 Buick Grand National For Sale
T-Tops
55k miles
PW/PL/Twilight Sentinel/Tilt/Cruise/AC
Pioneer CD deck, but I have a stock GM deck laying around if you prefer
Stock block 3.8 Turbo
Numerous upgrades (see below)

This is an almost complete list of upgrades and maintenance since I've owned the car:

spark plugs and wires at 48,000
walbro 340 fuel pump, accufab regulator, fp gauge, new fuel filter
hooker 2.5" exhaust w/ test pipe
passenger valve cover breather bypass
new PCV
underhood, rear, and front body braces
KYB shocks and Variable Springs put on back at 49,500
engine tie-down strap
solid MAF pipe
vacuum brake conversion (the original powermasters are terrible and $$$)
outlaw rims (a couple were pre-roughed up) and BFG 275's put on at 49,500
passenger side header crack welded (this happens on ALL TRs)
tranny and rear end service at 49,700 A-pillar pod w/ boost gauge,
air/fuel gauge
009 injectors at 50,150
TE-44 turbo, ATR 2.5" downpipe, ported elbow at 50,180
Duttweiler neck intercooler
sagging headliner repaired
2800 torque converter
B&M shift kit
brake line lock
larger tranny cooler installed *currently bypassed, stock unit used*
driveshaft safety loop
extra vacuum canister installed
a/c converted/recharged at 52,000
broken power antenna replaced with fixed mast at 52,300
MAF Translator+, LS1 MAF, and Extender chip combo installed at 52,300
New K&N cone filter at 52,300
New 02 sensor just put in
Oil changes done regularly (never more than 2000 miles)

I will include Turbolink 2.13 on disk, and an ALDL cable.

As far as what's wrong with it... nothing mechanically as far as I know. It's been reliable and relatively economical for 7 years. The body and paint is what a reasonable person would expect from a 17 year old car. Car looks nice from a distance, get many comments, up close it shows it's age in spots. The worst thing outside is a small ding in the passenger side door and a bent up wheel molding. Interior is clean, driver's seat upholstery is starting to split in the middle. Despite these, the car gets comments and looks everywhere it goes, but I feel in the hands of an enthusiast, with a little body work and maybe new paint, this would as good as it gets on the street. The car has the parts to run 11's in the hands of a good tuner.

The car has a rebuilt title from Illinois, which translated to a prior salvage title in Iowa I confirmed in Illinois theft recoveries are assigned this title automatically regardless of damage (including none). The car doesn't show any sign of having been wrecked. The seatbelts do not go thru the loop on the seats, and I know the second owner was a police chief. These things lead me to believe it may be a theft recovery, perhaps found stripped? Regardless, I'm not going to take 50% of book because of this, I'd rather keep it. I'm just giving full disclosure, selling it isn't worth being dishonest to me. "

What do you think?

Hmmmmmmm.

That theft recovery thing concerns me...I dont think that every car stolen and recovered in Illinois automatically gets a rebuilt title. I will certainly ask the Auto theft detectives about that and post what I find out. I would try to check the numbers on the block to make sure everything is legit. I dont know how the rest of the guys feel but that laundry list of mods dont seem to impressive to me. IMO whatever hes asking for the car is probably based on the value he thinks the car is worth if it didnt have the title issue, but since it does have the title issue it should be way, way, under market value. Be sure to get a car fax done it might not even be a GN.

Once upon a time I had a wholesale dealers license here in CA and I can tell you for sure the salvage title cars (for whatever reason) are worth 1/2 of what the same car would be with a clean title. If you were to buy it and had the misfortune of having it stolen you wouldn't get anything from the insurance company for it. Something to think about.

Neal

DarkKnight said:
He's asking $8500 for it.

750H.P.V6 said:
Once upon a time I had a wholesale dealers license here in CA and I can tell you for sure the salvage title cars (for whatever reason) are worth 1/2 of what the same car would be with a clean title. If you were to buy it and had the misfortune of having it stolen you wouldn't get anything from the insurance company for it. Something to think about.

Neal

VERY GOOD POINT. It didn't matter to me before because I just wanted a clean low-mileage car to play with but your right about the insurance company.

I know these cars do get stolen alot, hell even Sean Penn's GN was stolen.

750H.P.V6 said:
Once upon a time I had a wholesale dealers license here in CA...
Neal

On that note, since it went from a Theft Recovery car to a Rebuilt title when it went from Illinois to Iowa, what happens to a car with a Rebuilt title when it is title in California???

If it shows a clean title then I wouldn't have to worry about the insurance...

Do you think it would?

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!

Each state has a different designation for salvage title cars. If you bring it to CA and it has previously had any type of salvage title from another state it will have a salvage title in CA too.

Neal

DarkKnight said:
On that note, since it went from a Theft Recovery car to a Rebuilt title when it went from Illinois to Iowa, what happens to a car with a Rebuilt title when it is title in California???

If it shows a clean title then I wouldn't have to worry about the insurance...

Do you think it would?

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!

Savage title,T-Tops, Assuming sight unseen, poss. east coast rust issues= Junk! keep looking & keep far away from e-bay unless the deal can be verified.
I have seen too many sad stories. Start with a good car & you will save money in the long run. Cause you can't shine sh**t

Thanks for all your help guys! I am definetly letting this one go.

SO, let me know if you know of a clean 1987 Grand National WITH T-Tops. Right now that's the only car that will sway me away from the Z28.

Stay in the cars for sale section on this forum and the other turbo sites. It took me forever to find one. But it was well worth the wait. Keep at it.