Considering selling my TTA. Would like opinions.

Gokou

Yes, I'm considering selling my TTA. No, I'm not crazy.

Hear me out.

I'm the type of guy that loves to work on, modify, and drive a car. My car is the rarest of the rare, and with only 3500 miles on it, is a time capsule. And that right there is my problem. I want to modify the car to a much greater extent than I already have done, but the fact that it's a hardtop car is holding me back. Every time I drive the thing I see the odometer and realize that every mile is decreasing the value... a lot.

I'm beginning to think my car would be better off in the hands of a collector. I could buy another higher mileage T-top car and have just as much fun. They made a lot of T-top cars, so I wouldn't have any problem modifying it. And if it's a higher mileage it's already seen the bulk of depreciation so I'd drive the wheels off the sucker.

Thus, I'm thinking of selling my car and buying a T-top car with >20,000 miles on it, modding it as much as I want, and driving it. A lot.

Thoughts? It's a tough choice for me. I've only had the car since May, and it's kind of special to me because I had my very first 1/4 mile ride in this car with the previous owner (a longtime friend of mine).

Tough choice... selling my car and buying another one is the logical choice, but I'm having a difficult time.

LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE!!

now i wished i had a t-top TTA to trade you-
all i own is turbo regals-
please email me at
wanner@kc.rr.com

perhaps i could persuade you to sell it to me!

Got a car for ya.

I believe your in Cali correct ? Friend is selling TTA t-top/leather.
Has right around 20k on the clock. Seems exactly what your looking for. Just curious how much would you ask for the Hardtop ? If I may.

I'm returning the car to 99% stock (exception of the muffler, shiftkit, braided turbo drain, and adjustable wastegate actuator) should I sell it, and keeping the mods for my next TTA. I'm going to put the original Gatorbacks back on for the sale, but they are NOT roadworthy in my opinion, very slippery due to the age. If the next owner wants the BFG's with the car I'd leave them on for an extra $550 (they were $700 new and only have 900 miles on them) and I'd send the Gatorbacks along with the car.

The car has all of the goodies, owners kit (everything sealed and unused), PHS letter, original floormats (the ones in the pics are spares I use to drive), owners manual, supplement, warranty sheet, all the parts I replaced, a custom embroidered car cover from CAR motorsports, etc.

I've put some work into the car maintenance wise (it had some problems due to storage that are all corrected now-- PCV, rear main, wastegate solenoid, A/C cycling switch, leaky turbo drain, etc) and it could be driven anywhere now. I'd like to get out of it what I purchased it for, $25K. Besides the addition of 1000 miles, the car is in better condition than when I purchased it mechanically and cosmetically.

Your friend with the 20K mile car wouldn't happen to be David in San Diego, would it? If so I'm already in touch with him. :)

Damn, lost a $300 finders fee.;) That be him. I have seen the car a few times, extremely clean. Wanted a 300ZXTT instead. :eek:

I really like David's car. It looks like a very clean original car that I can build up as I please. I wish it had cloth interior, but since I'm not striving for originality on the new car if I get one I could "fix" that. :)

I could still go through you so you could get the finder's fee :p

I need to decide if I want to sell mine, and then actually sell it first before I buy anything though.

It's a really tough choice for me. I'm one of the types that hoardes stuff because I'm so attached to everything I can't part with it... that's why I'm asking for opinions and recommendations. If I had the money (actually, more garage space) I'd keep #1456 and buy another car to modify to my heart's delight.

Having two, one show/collector(like yours) and a race/street would be ideal. A friend has same deal with GN's, ones a low milage, immaculant car, the other is a 1400 hp monster. IMO, I don't think these cars are going to be worth all that much in the future anyway. Look at the return people have gotten on untitled, extremely low mile, cars today. $31k+ in 89' (one of the last ones in L.A. new, went for $49k), garage it for 13yrs and sell it on E bay for $26k. Think if that money was invested for 13yrs. :eek:

I'd drive it. Hell, who is to say the next owner, or owner after that won't leave the chastity belt ON and mod. and race the **** out of it.:p JMO

That's my concern... depreciation for mileage.

Since I want to drive and mod the car I'd be money ahead selling mine and buying a higher mileage car that's already depreciated. That way I can have my cake, and eat it too... I'd have a car I could mod, drive without worrying about taking a hit on the mileage since that's already been done, and have a lot of money left over for new mods from the sale of my low-mileage hardtop. :)

I figure the car will go to a collector, because in my mind someone who mods these cars isn't going to start with an ultra-low mileage hardtop because of the price-- the high initial purchase price puts a BIG dent in the mod fund. ;) A collector will be willing to pay the price because they're the type of person who is willing to pay the money for an original low mileage car to store and preserve. Then again, I'm sure there's the oddballs out there who would shell out the bucks for a low mileage car and then mod the crap out of it... Hell, that's what I started to do before I came to my senses a week or so ago. I had the car on the lift, subrame connectors laid out, and welder in hand, and right then it hit me like a ton of bricks-- "what am I thinking doing this to a low mileage hardtop?"

That's when I decided I'd be happier with a higher mileage T-top car, because I wouldn't have much difficultly modding it and driving over the crank, er, driving it a lot. ;)

My mind is made up.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55265

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'd have to agree with you. If YOU don't want to mod it then don't. I see your point not wanting to alter a rare hardtop car. I'd say sell it, and if the person you sell it to mods it when that's on them. Find that t-top car you want and have fun with it. Having fun is what's its all about :)