Considering buying: 81 T-Type w/84 GN Engine

Spagz

Hey all,

I'm new here. Just looking for a little advice. As the topic implies, I am going to look at a car this week. It is an 81 T-Type with the engine, and seating from an 84 Grand National. I ALWAYS loved the GNs and T-Types, never had one though. Never thought I could afford one! THis one is only going for $2000 (which seems REALLY cheap to me). Now that I read up, I realize how little I knew. I didnt realize the huge difference in hot-air vs. intercooled performance. Not just the raw performance, but the parts availability for aftermarket performace all seems geared towards 86/87 engines.

I'd love some input on this! I'm not sure what to do now. I'm afraid I might not be happy with a stock 84 GN engine, and the intercooler conversions seems to be expensive, and difficult to find parts for. Looks like the answer may come soon from GBodyParts soon, but not sure what kind of $$ that will be. Help! :) I really like the idea of doing a turbo car. I have always been a V8 guy. I am not looking for a 10 second car (today). I would like something that will run 12.0 though. I am guessing in stock form, this car is more like a 15.x car. If I can get that down into the 12s for only a little dough, I will go for it.

The car is solid overall, straight, and I'd say 90% done to convert it to a clone. Needs paint, although the existing paint isn't "embarrasing" looking. The interior looks real good. There are some little things, but hey, this car is 27 years old! Engine is completely stock out of an 84, or so he was told.

Hey all,

If I can get that down into the 12s for only a little dough, I will go for it.

The car is solid overall, straight, and I'd say 90% done to convert it to a clone. Needs paint, although the existing paint isn't "embarrasing" looking. The interior looks real good. There are some little things, but hey, this car is 27 years old! Engine is completely stock out of an 84, or so he was told.

Walk away now. Keep your money in the bank. The car is a loser from the get go because it is a clone an not an 84/85. The cost to get this car moving is extreamly expensive. Save your money and get an 86/87 If you need more info on costs let me know. Brad

$2k might not be a bad price for an 81 Regal with an 84 turbo motor in it, as long as it was done right and it runs. of course, you can nitpick it and find as much wrong with it as it takes to get the price down even lower..
of course, i paid $2k for my 84 T with 54,000 miles on it 3 years ago. but i also got a pretty sweet deal since it had a blown head gasket that the owner was sure was a fried piston. it sat for 13 years becasue of that..
after i fixed it and drove it up to his used car lot to show him the blown head gasket, he got mad at me for "screwing him over on a car that was worth $5k" and kicked me off his lot...

If you are looking to go fast I'd say pass on it and save your money for a 86' / 87'. Now if you just want to get into a TR to have some fun with and drive go for it! 81' T type is not a common car :cool:

New Life

Before making any decision or taking any advice, ask yourself a few questions:
1. How mechanically inclined are you?
2. How much time do you have to dedicated to this project?
3. What shape is the car in (mechanically, rust, etc.)?
4. Do you have the patience to look for parts?
I've had a hot air since May 1985 (ordered it from factory) and I'd never trade it for my brothers intercooled '87 in a million years, and I keep up with him too. So if you want to go fast, an intercooled isn't the final word.
Like with any car that gets old, parts are an issue, but I have an '59 Buick convertible that I can get parts for, so that's not a real issue.
Only you know what you can live with and what you like. If it's whatever year of Regal with whatever turbo-6, as long as you like it, go for it.:cool:

Thanks to all of you for the input!
Brad, I really appreciate your honesty. And you are probably right!
However, I decided to go for it. I talked with a motorhead at work, and it turns out he has a 85 GN! I didn't know it. He is still building it. He said overall, if this thing runs and moves, its a really good price. I have wanted a GN for so long, I know right now, until the babies grow a bit, or I hit the lottery, this is as close as I am going to get for a while. Besides, my Wife tells me I need a toy project/hobby to get off the computer so much! I have not had a "toy" now for almost 4 years. I was always the guy with 2,3, or 4 toys. Sold my last Camaro in 2004. Sold my 67 Firebird Ragtop in 2003. Its been very hard for me to only have the family truckster!

So, I take the plunge. I will try and pick it up in the next week or so, as soon as we can work it out.

To answer some questions, the car overall is in very good condition. While this will be a project, I plan to drive it daily. I dont care about numbers matching, or any of that stuff. If anything, I will customize a bit. Gonna have a killer sound system for sure, so I will probably end up fiberglassing some of the car- either the doors/kick panels, or the trunk, or all of the above.

As for my mechanical ability, I used to be an auto mechanic, but I haven't worked in the field since 1990. I used to do mostly transmissions, but have done general repair as well, and in fact worked in a place that did rebuilding of turbos. They were usually diesel turbos off big trucks. I am not a kid, I am 43, and have been working on cars since I was 13 in my Uncles car lot. So in short, I have a good overal knowledge of automotive repair, but Turbo cars will be a new avenue for me in performance tinkering.

I was always a V8 guy, although I did have a 99 Grand Prix GTP that I bought new, but aside from some bolt-on goodies, mostly I kept it stock. I was also always into car stereo (and home audio as well). For 5 years, I had a car stereo business, so the 12 volt world is very familiar to me. I have been installing "systems" in cars since the 80s.

Thanks again all. I look forward to the advice and knowledge I can get here almost as much as I am looking forward to driving the car home.

Spagz

If you need more info on costs let me know. Brad

Sure! The costs would be good. What would be great would be what should I do, in what order. i.e. what would be the best bang for the buck upgrades off that bat. Usually the first place I want to go after on a car is the exhaust, but this is not a NA engine, so I am leary of jumping right in on that.

The real big question I have is "What would I have to buy to convert to an intercooled engine?". Now if you dont think it is worth it, and I can go fast on hot air, kewl.

Eventually I will pull the motor (maybe next Summer) and rebuild it. At that point, I will upgrade the internals, but for now would like to stick to "bolt-on stuff". I'll do the trans at that time as well, and stall converter.

Thanks again!

Spagz

Spagz- I list of the costs and parts in order to get a hot air into the low twelves is in the Hot Air post-"Hot Air Swap Advice Please". Do a search under my signon and you will find it.

The intercooler option requires a donor 86/87 motor or some people sell you the parts for around $1700. Then you have to install them. I chose not to go this route and chose the Razor Alky kit.

I will PM you my phone number and call me as the phone is alot quicker. Brad

if it was done right and its decent I say go for it. If you want an intercooled car just as well wait and get one. But it sounds like this would be a good toy for now or a dd. 2k as long as its all good, seems like a decent deal. Alky is always the best bang for the buck for both cars. But you need to get tuning items first, upgrade fuel pump, check all bushing FRONT and REAR, etc.

Hey y'all

I ended up buying this car.

Will get some pics up soon. Those that you see in my sig and avvy are of when I went to see it.
Just got the thing towed into my driveway about an hour and a half ago.

:D

Hey y'all

I ended up buying this car.

Will get some pics up soon. Those that you see in my sig and avvy are of when I went to see it.
Just got the thing towed into my driveway about an hour and a half ago.

:D

Awesome! I'm sorry I ended up chickening out on it. NICE guy that was selling it. Best of luck with it!

Just a word of advice: the 81s didnt come with a 8.5 rear from the factory, just the weak 7.5.... before you put some power down or start beating on that rear check if it was swapped in from the donor car or if its only the 7.5 - easier to change that now than have it break and leave you stuck....

Spagz

Thanks man. I hope you find yours soon! Oh and, the seller was an AWESOME guy. Real nice, upfront cool guy. Didn't try to hide anything, etc.

I'll find out if it's the 8.5 or the old.

If it's the old 7.5, how hard is it to swap it and how much are the 8.5 rear's?

sometimes the bolts through the control arms are rusted and a pain in the butt, other than that its not horrible, you do need to take apart the brakes on both sides to disconnect the e-brake cables. a weekend project could see the swap done, just need to make sure to get the correct driveshaft to go with the 8.5 as they are different.

price-wise, a non-posi can be had in the $500 range, posi for around 7-750 or so. I'd give intercooled88s a shout if you need one and cant find it local. Bob's not just the used parts vendor with the fairest prices I know of, but also a moderator here on the board in the hybrids section. He gets a nice discount on truck freight shipping too...

Cool! Thanks a ton man. I appreciate the help.

Everytime I look at this car, everytime I sit in it, I feel a little more like, "Man... This is gonna be fun to get this thing HOOKED UP." :)