cons about SMC alcohol injection?

The old saying..everyone is happy till they have a problem. Great customer service doesnt replace damage to my motor becuase something failed. Period

Its not that it hasnt had, its when. I only point out stuff thats failed to help you guys stay together..longer.

Becuase something works doesnt make it rite, or reliable. I too had an SMC kit initially. Thats how I got started. I only state issues that came up with mine in the hopes those that reads this can take some precaution.

Me..I see a problem, I fix it and make sure its not an issue ever again if all possible.

All the parts in your do it youself kits can fail too,most of the problems arise when you dont maintain your system.
Ed

Maintain???? Whats that??? No one maintains theyre system. Its not an oil change.

The only issue with the DIY kit is the overall too many options that confuses folks. And poor installation. You use electrical tape with lamp cord to hook things up.. wrap wires around screws with scotch tape, thats a ticking time bomb as well. Any install can be "rigged"..SMC, DIY, Carrolls..plenty of short cut takers...trying to save money on proper tools to do it rite the first time.

So how does one maintain the tin RCA connectors on top of the bottle from corroding internally due to the epoxy failing? :rolleyes: The danger lies in the stuff you cant touch or see..

Yup..tin..not nickel,stainless,brass,anodized,...nothing but the best . My faith lies in soldered direct connections with no in between junctions.. this path has had zero issues.. 100% success rate.

You cannot find one weak link in my system. My 5000 dollar motor depends on that ;)

I don't drip alcohol on my conections on my SMC system,their for I don't have any problems with corrosion on the terminals ,thats what I mean by maintanince,no problems yet because I take care of my car no oil leaks no alcohol leaks maintanance................:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Razor

You cannot find one weak link in my system. My 5000 dollar motor depends on that ;)

YEAH........SAME HERE! EXCEPT IT'S MY $300 REBUILD THAT DEPENDS ON IT. :eek:

Originally posted by fast eddie
I don't drip alcohol on my conections on my SMC system,their for I don't have any problems with corrosion on the terminals ,

So you blame corrossion on leaking alcohol on terminals...so as long as you dont spill alcohol on the terminals, dont drive your car in the rain, and never overfill your bottle so the alcohol doesnt slosh on the bottom of the epoxied brass connector, you should be ok... Those are not even gold plated/stainless/etc.. and exposed to the heat, humidity, vibration, alcohol FUMES, ..ya no problem..

Want a tell tale sign, look at the bottom of the bottle, if you see debris start forming, its the epoxy coming apart from getting sloshed. The wires turn green inside it. Dont ask how I know :rolleyes:

Listen its a wonderful drop in and go kit as is. Certain issues on the older kits..this is one big one.

You think I could be make something like this up.. what happens if i'm rite to your motor at 23 PSI? If i'm wrong, nothing..the world is wonderful..life is good.

;)

No alcohol kit is perfect,SMC continues to improve his kit all the time and sell upgrades at a resonable cost,many things can go wrong on any 1/4 mile pass .............

True.. so many uncertainties.. one must face obstacles to improve ones thinking.

I have no worries :D

Good luck to you...

Peace.

No alcohol kit is perfect,SMC continues to improve his kit all the time and sell upgrades at a resonable cost,many things can go wrong on any 1/4 mile pass .............

DON'T WORRY.........BE HAPPY! GET OVER IT! :p

What 'da heck.........you guys didn't know you could have had alky injection for 1/3rd the price. :(

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
why can't you drive in the rain with an alky kit??

Terminals on top of the SMC kit bottle are exposed.. so humidity, vibration, etc... will lead to failure.

Red... bout time you chimed in on the $$$,, been waiting :D

In this great state of Michigan the weather changes constantly,humid, dry cold and hot you need to have many adjustments as posible on these cars to make them run at their best and the SMC kit makes it very easy to tune your vehicle to get the most out of it,the EGT and t-plus and extender chip are also great tools to tune your car:)
Hey Razor is your progressive controler FREE or do you have directions to make the kit yourself?;)

two great products from people that took and initiative to inprove the performace of are beloved GN's

Ed

I think GM's experiments with alcohol/water injection and washdown properties that resulted in cylinder wear in the longterm is the only major disadvantage. I hadn't really thought of alcohol messing up the exhaust but if it does that to pipes and mufflers you have to wonder what it does to the turbo.

Originally posted by jastrckl
I think GM's experiments with alcohol/water injection and washdown properties that resulted in cylinder wear in the longterm is the only major disadvantage.

SAVES YOU THE COST OF HAVING YOUR CYLINDERS BORED. ;)

two great products from people that took and initiative to inprove the performace of are beloved GN's

Ed

Ed.. taking a product thats currently on the market and improving on it. Thats what pushes the envelope in quality and performance. In the future..who knows what changes will take place..

Nothing in life thats comes with great effort is ever free :D

Listen, my friends who I drilled out and replaced the connectors on their SMC kits have never had any other issues..period. They've been running their kits for 2 years now. And I was the one that told them to get it back then. Aside from a bad controller on one, thats it. One is currently going to be changing over, he's tired of paying the 8-10 bucks a gallon for the denatured. We get Methanol for 2.50..especially when he sees me get my 2 1/2 gallon filled for 5 bucks :)

I'll quote him from last nite..to him " I wish SMC had put a fill line on the bottle..it seeps from the big connectors when overfilled..a simple tape around the bottle would of done that"

Hey I call it as I see it.. If I never owned one, or worked on one, I could not comment.

If someone had made a progressive with a little thought behind it months ago, I wouldnt be making them. Nobody still does aside from myself...its easier to pay and reap the rewards, than to use your vehicle for experiments.

Peace ;)

The only con that I have about the SMC system is that the alcohol runs out. :)
My car and I just love the stuff

"My pump isn't working", is my only problem with the kit. I've owned the kit since before the Pressure switch mod and yesterday (At the strip) was the 2nd time the pump has stopped working. Ran a 12.9 @ 105 (5500ft.) and wondered why I got 10 counts of knock while the BLMs and the O2s looked good, glad I didn't see the boost hit 25 (where I want it). But it did get to around 22. I know for a fact the pump was working a few days before going to the track.

Note To Self: Before making a 25psi run, MAKE SURE THE ALKY ACTUALLY SPRAYS!!!!!!!

Be glad you werent at 25 PSI where mistakes can be costly..Check those pump connectors ;)

I hate the darned thing

Since I installed it I can run a higher timing chip and 4 or 5 more pounds of boost on the street. The darn car has become undrivable. Now you get on it and the tires break loose and you are doing a ditch dodging scenario. My wife and all my friends are scared to ride in it. I'm ripping the piece of crap off before the local sheriff impounds the thing.:cool: :cool: yeah right.