Connecting A/C for the first time

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
I am curious if there is anything I need to be aware of connecting the AC to my car for the first time. It is a hot air car converted and I never had the AC connected before. I have since moved to TX and need AC, I have all the components and I am in the process of putting it all back on the car now. Components have been stored for at least ten years now.
Is there anything I need to be aware of?
Anything I should be doing prior to the first start up?
By just bolting everything up, will there be anything damaged without special attention?

I fully expect leaks and I plan on taking it to a shop to have it charged and any leaks addressed.

you should replace the receiver/ dryer, (the beer can looking thing, by the right fender) as it has absorbed moisture, and will no longer function,
also replace the expansion tube, its in the high pressure line going to the condenser .
replace all the O rings on all fittings, use the correct orings ( commonly green in color)
I'd flush the system (before adding the receiver.dryer) to clean everything .
the a/c place will add oil, so do not bother with that your self,
check the condition of the compressor . possibly replace .
that will keep you busy.

you should replace the receiver/ dryer, (the beer can looking thing, by the right fender) as it has absorbed moisture, and will no longer function,
also replace the expansion tube, its in the high pressure line going to the condenser .
replace all the O rings on all fittings, use the correct orings ( commonly green in color)
I'd flush the system (before adding the receiver.dryer) to clean everything .
the a/c place will add oil, so do not bother with that your self,
check the condition of the compressor . possibly replace .
that will keep you busy.

How would I check the condition of the compressor? Thanks for the detailed response.

Normally in residential air conditioning, you hook up the lines, and then pressure test it with Nitrogen(do not do compressed air, as that has moisture which is bad). Then you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove any remaining moisture, then charge the system.

You might want to see if there is a company that can do this for you.