Computer trouble

JFH

Friend brought his computer over, keeps shuting down in about 15 min. Got it running long enough to scan for virus. No virus there Has the microsoft patch in for Sasser, Norton updated.

AMD 2100 chip, Asus A7v8x-x motherboard.. If I but a different hard drive in it will keep on running.
Now if I but back his hard drive the mouse and keyboard will freeze up, also I tried running Norton again and that froze up.

Bad hard drive?? Any Ideas?

JFH

It can still be a virus or the drive itself is going bad. Use another hd and install operating system. Set the bad drive as a slave and copy over the files you want to save. You can also try running a scan with the good drive and try and repair the bad one. Also check to see how much free space you have on the bad drive. Also try doing a defrag of the bad drive. If all else fails, do a low level format on the bad drive and then try re-using it..

unexpected shut down could also be bad memory chip, try taking out one chip at a time and see what happens, run windows repair on the drive and see if it finds any bad sectors and repair as needed, i dont think is a virus, do what i told you and see what happens, also make sure all the fans are working, CPU,Power supply and video card fans, if any of them are bad it will also cause the systems to overheat and shut down unexpectedly. good luck

All fans are working monitored MB with Asus prope and not over heating. Runs forever with my HD in. Will thy the memory removal. If I could get it to run long enough I'd do a windows repair.
JFH

If it works with your hard drive...then its the hard drive..not memory, not fans..try what i said in my previous post