Complete repaint, partial repaint, or sale?

MRP78

I am working on a 1987 stock under 10K mile original. It has original paint that is in good shape with the typical characteristics of thin paint, dirt and garbage that GM added at no charge from the factory. This is original I know and that seems to be where the value and emphasis is these days, but these issues really get under my skin.

There are a few areas on the car that could use some attention to make what is there better such as on the quarter panel, hood and roof. I fear there will probably be other areas that show up later with this 26 year old lacquer paint. I've found a place that will do just these areas and will likely do a great job as they can make it look original without a trace, but this expertise comes at a premium and the work in these areas will cost nearly equal to what it would take for a good quality entire paint job.

So I'm not sure what to do as far as the partial work that is as expensive as a quality paint job, an entire repaint, or sale and move on? I feel and fear it may be sacrilege to repaint a car with such low miles and someone will always wonder why a car with such low miles needed a repaint. I like the car and would like to keep it, but when I look closely I see these issues and it's disappointing. If I sale this one and look for another one similar it will likely have the same problems if it has original paint. Or maybe another set of problems. So I think working with what I have is the best option but I do need to think about resell if I should have to in the future. What should I do?

W/ that low miles, I'd do a strip and paint.
Any "added value" of the car w/ the poor paint is questionable, IMO.

What issues? If your thinking of partial paint to sell don't do it. If your doing partial to keep, don't do it. Selling with original paint I think is better for 2 reasons. One you don't put money into it that you'll not get out of it.Two, potential buyers can see what they getting, good and bad. A fresh repaint to me as a buyer would make me wonder what the problems on a low mile were. I'd rather no guess.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What issues? If your thinking of partial paint to sell don't do it. If your doing partial to keep, don't do it. Selling with original paint I think is better for 2 reasons. One you don't put money into it that you'll not get out of it.Two, potential buyers can see what they getting, good and bad. A fresh repaint to me as a buyer would make me wonder what the problems on a low mile were. I'd rather no guess.

I want to keep the car. Thin paint, lead popping out. Even if I take lots of pictures of how it is before the paint work?

Good pics are a plus. As you stated the cost of some repairs will be as much .repainted parts will always look better.