Complete at a loss

vader-GN

Has anyone experienced this, I make a left turn and twice now the car has died out. It’s like someone pulled the plug out of a wall socket. It starts right back up and it’s fine. When it happens there is not missing sputtering or chugging, the car just dies. This has happens 2 times this summer and it seem to be only on a left turn not to sharp. Other the that the car is fast

:confused:

I had that problem before back in 1989 my GN would do that and i would replace the fuel filter and it stopped doing it, i have no idea why but it worked.:confused:

Could be the battery cable shorting out and causing the car to die.

I had a similar problem on right hand corners, turned out to be the line between the pump and sending unit, it was losing fuel pressure when i made a corner, causeing it to stall out

I have that problem every once in awhile. The cause is my half a$$ed wired hot wire kit. I was lazy and ran the power wire along the frame rail on the outside. After a couple of years the insulation rubbed off in a few places and it shorts out when it touches any metal. But when it does that it pops the fuse. I'd would check the wiring on your car. Maybe a loose ground somewhere. Oh and I had one of those too. The ground for the hot wire kit was just a sheetmetal screw. It was loose and caused the same problems you have. I would drive around for weeks and out of nowhere the car would die. Sometimes it would buck when I drove over tar strips in the road. I found it by accident. Good thing the ground was right next to the fuse holder otherwise I would have never checked it.

I have a hot wire kit that was installed this year I will check it and the others

Thanks

Sometimes these cars are so much fun and other times they are just plain entertaining. :D

I hope you find the cause of this one. :smile:

I'm getting ready to start mine up after a year of it being down. :eek:

I had that happen to my 84 N/A regal a few years ago. Ended up being an unfused hot wire on the back of the motor that shorted to the block. Car died instantly. But, in my case, EVERYTHING died...all the lights in the dash and everything.

Guys - I bought this car from Larry a couple of years ago and have seen this happen a couple of times during my ownership which amounts to maybe 500 miles or so. Any ideas ??

anyone have ideas on this ? I'd like to make sure it's reliable as I'd like to take on it larger drives ... 150 miles or so

in the early90's my friend had a T that did that every time he was close to a quarter tank or less. We never found the problem and figured the gas was moving in the tank to one side and pump was sucking air. We always kept the tank full but it was allot of fun making it empty :)

D

thanks for your replay. I don't think its fuel since it just suddenly goes dead, no sputtering - just instantly dead. Then it will start right back up.

When I worked for Cadillac, one came in with this problem & it was loose baffles in the fuel tank.
The dealer only charged the customer $800 to replace the tank.

I'd think that due to the suddeness of this problem it's electrical ?? I haven't a clue where to start though

Electrician

I'm an electrican. If it was a short to ground the fuse would blow. If it is a device going bad you could trace it. The hardest ghost to find is a loose neutral, or in this case a loose ground. The tank has a ground on the left tail section. Also there are two locations of multible grounds on the back of the passengers head. When I have issues I call GSCS os kirban.

I just went through this & it was the wire from the crankshaft position sensor shorting where it runs up the front left side of the engine block. Only did it in right hand turns & only when the car was moving. Real head scratcher...

car dieing

I had a issue like this what i did was with the car idling started checking connectors moving them back and forth then the wiring up to the connector I would listen for the idle to change. It ended up being there injector harness connector I don't think that's your problem but if you wiggle the wires close to the connectors you might fine your problem

do you have a tilt steering column? if so, is there any play in the tilt mechanism?
i had this very sme thing happen on an 87 Caprice 9C1.. if i moved the column just right, it would shut the car off.