Cometic Headgaskets

Double-L

I was wondering I keep having trouble with the head gaskets leaking and some guys that knows what they are talking about said it was the Cometics at boost over 21 psi on the Buicks, Just wondering what you think and what are most running, This is driving me nuts, It runs fine up to about 19 pounds of boost

I was wondering I keep having trouble with the head gaskets leaking and some guys that knows what they are talking about said it was the Cometics at boost over 21 psi on the Buicks, Just wondering what you think and what are most running, This is driving me nuts, It runs fine up to about 19 pounds of boost

Retorque to 90pnds and throw in a 3 of GM sealing tabs in the radiator and be done with it.

What is leaking ? Compression or coolant ?

I put a set of .045 Cometics on mine and they sealed-up tight as a frogs butt.

It took a little extra prep work, but they don't leak.

I ground off all the rivets and pulled the layers apart.
I put a thin film of RTV silicone around all the coolant passages on each layer of gasket (block & heads too) putting them on the block one at a time. The head studs sealed up fine with RTV silicone.

Initial torque went to 65ft lbs... then right to 80ft lbs.

After running the motor up to temperature several times, I re-torqued all the studs again... finding two that loosened up. I will likely go over them a few more times, until they keep tight.

Well just Compression and a little oil I think, We drove it to the track earlier and tried to run it but the tranny was not working right shifting way to soon and had to manually shift out of 2nd., Also the boost controller went bad and all we had was 19-20 psi of boost, The chip is burned for 24 pounds, We made three runs anyway and it run 10.90, 10.92, 10,93 and the best of 119, We drove it home and got a new boost controller and put it on and new rear tires and a friend was going to race it here and then we was going to race it at the super chevy but he went out and the next day come back and said it had a noise he has never heard and he went to the one that built the engine and he said it was louder that any engine he has ever heard blowed up, Like a hammer under the hood but only at 19 pounds of boost or more, Anything under that and it drove like a new car?, Well a friend off TB said might be the converter, I didn't think so but the tranny was the old build with a Art Car no lock and didn't have the billet shaft and pan so I had a guy from TB rebuild the tranny the same build as his stage 2 and he used a PI 5 disk lockup and I took it out and run it to 20 psi and it sounded great and shifted at 5500 on every shift and you can tell when it locked up, So now everything is go but he took it out and right back and said it makes a noise when you go over 19 pounds of boost. Like a loud vacuum leak, That is when I went back to the one that built the tranny and he said sounds like a head gasket leaking and when I told him what kind I had he said they didn't work good with the Buick's, Or should say he didn't like them, Also I noticed when you drive it and boost it and it sets it will leak a small spot of oil and if you don't boost it won't leak anything, Sorry for the long post

So now everything is go but he took it out and right back and said it makes a noise when you go over 19 pounds of boost. Like a loud vacuum leak,

Sorry for the long post

Did you check for any blown IC hoses?

Another thing....make some paragraphs

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com