Cometic Gaskets how safe to reuse

I have. Fillet them open, degrease the shit of of them, and copper coat all the layers.

For obvious reasons, make sure they're not compromised before trying to reuse them. I just did it because I didn't want to wait for Cometic to make my custom gaskets again.

I have. Fillet them open, degrease the shit of of them, and copper coat all the layers.

For obvious reasons, make sure they're not compromised before trying to reuse them. I just did it because I didn't want to wait for Cometic to make my custom gaskets again.

What makes your gaskets custom?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

it should lay flat or have a slight curve to it and show no signs of twist warpage (if warped it stretched )to any of the layers or tearing at the fire ring or obvious blow outs . all cylinders should have the same appearance in the way the gasket lays
ive reused them over and over through various stages of rebuilds when i cracked the stock piston (twice) and when swapping heads
given choice between using a new .060" 5 layer or reuse an old used .060" 4 layer that held up i would rather run the old
given choice between a new 5 layer 060 with the stamped shim between the steels i would pull that shim out or better choice run the .050 or .040 that use thicker steels

as earl mention drill out the rivet and fan them out and clean then spray and install, then retorque after a few heat cycles before you lay down an any serious power , and then after that retorque again

earl at .027 about all you have left is the two outer stamped shims because thay are about .013 each or is it one stamped and a thin steel ?

Mine are .040, I have about 3000 miles on them and were taken apart when new and copper coated, i will do the same this time. they look great , I had to pulled the heads because I have bent valves cause by a broken timing chain.

Keith, how is the rebuild coming? I have reused Cometics several times successfully. Just do as said above with the copper coat.

The are .027" thick and I had Cometic omit the head bolt holes I don't use.

edit: nevermind. I assume cometics come with 14 holes and you omit the six you don't use? I initially read it as you're not using head bolts.

Jeremy , I haven't started rebuilding yet, just got the heads and valves back from the shop yesterday. I have ordered the connecting rods and may get them by the end of next week. damages = 3 bent valves, 3 damaged connecting rods, cam is trash, cam button and timing chain. all in all about 1,000 in parts, less if I use my used cometic head gaskets.

Weber - they have all the info on the rod weights and will match the 3 rods to the weights of the build when they built the engine one year ago,

Good deal. Seeing what happened to your motor prompted me to change the chain on mine as well. DLS uses Progear.