Combination questions (long)

Dave

After 4 long years I finally have an engine that is not taking out the main bearings. So the other day I am letting the car warm up and notice blue smoke from the tail pipes. I determine that the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo is failing. It stopped smoking once the car had been running for a while and has been this way for a week. Smokes cold then stops. I had to get a couple of runs before it failed completly!

It ran an 11.67 @ 114.36 with a 1.6 60 foot @ 24psi of boost on 100 octane, 100 octane turbo tweak chip. I have a stock short block with ported and polished heads large valve,ported throttle body and intake 60lb injectors, FM CAS,RJC boost control, with a PT52 turbo. o2 @ 769, zero knock. Precision 0 pump lock up convertor, MT drag radials 235/60/15.I did not lock the convertor. The second run I turned up the boost but it actually dropped off two pounds. 11.75 @ 114.41 1.7 60 foot. Also a Houston 3" down pipe and stock cam, stock MAF @ 255 WOT. Scanmaster as well.

Is the turbo failing and not working properly because of a bad seal? Does a turbo work less efficiant when the seal starts failing. There was no smoke,only on start up untill it warms up. I feel based on my combo I should have more MPH. Is this all due to the turbo. Should I upgrade to a larger turbo? I am eventually looking for low 11 high 10 as I continue to modify.

Thanks guys

Dave

Well I have seen Tr's smoke @ idle an it was a bad turbo, an it seems it was blue smoke.. If you replace the turbo there are some nice ones out there. What convertor do you have??? A GT-61 is a nice option if you do not have a lot of stall..