collapsed NEW lifter

1987ttype

I put in a roller cam kit about a year ago. bolted up the stock rocker arms to see where i was at preload wise. preload was off so i was going to order pushrods or adjustable roller rockers. since then I got tied up with a new project and the engine has been sitting with rocker arms bolted in.

I finished that project and came back to the buick motor it seems that one of the lifters is completely collapsed. the pushrod socket just flops around as if there is no spring inside. The rest of the sockets will push up against the c-clip with what seems to be varying pressures. I did soak them in oil, so it could just be that some are full of oil.

so here's my question, could the lifter springs be worn due to sitting being bolted in? Do i need to order all new lifters or just that one, i assume that oil pressure is what will be holding up the pushrod socket anyways so the as long as the spring works well enough for me to setup preload i'm ok. I don't remember if i checked all the lifters a year ago, but i suspect that I may have not. Thanks guys.

awesome, thanks mike. Is there a way to disconnect the connecting assembly to replace just the one or do i have to do the pair?

Lifter

I don't think that the spring broke , if that lifter has been holding the valve
open for a year the assembly lube can dry up and cause the piston to stick.
I would take the lifter out and soak it in clean mineral spirits for a few days
Then use an oil can to force oil into the lifter that should recharge it. Or you
should return to the point of purchase and it should be warranted. I have
replaced several pairs of lifters over the years for this exact reason.

I don't think that the spring broke , if that lifter has been holding the valve
open for a year the assembly lube can dry up and cause the piston to stick.
I would take the lifter out and soak it in clean mineral spirits for a few days
Then use an oil can to force oil into the lifter that should recharge it. Or you
should return to the point of purchase and it should be warranted. I have
replaced several pairs of lifters over the years for this exact reason.

i tried cleaing it out earlier with some brake cleaner but it didn't free up. I let it soak overnight like you advised and it worked perfectly, plunger is working fine now. Thanks for the tip!

glad that was it. stupid things need to be cleaned before installed there is alittle of crap in them new.