Cold air kit slowed my car down?

I second that emotion. Though, noone wants to believe me lol. I try to tell my friends, and they're like "nooo!" Ok then, blow your money lol. PLENTY of 11 second cars on here, running a maf pipe, with a filter jammed onto the end of it, chillin' in the engine bay. I do it, and my car runs fine..
there are 8 sec cars sucking air right out of the engine compartment. Many of these kits cause the car to spool slower, enough to hurt the 60ft times so check some new time slips with the old and compare. you may be surprised at what you find. Data is everything scan tool will save you more money than you spend on it.
Mike

There are also 8sec / 9sec / 10sec / 11sec cars running cold air kits too! I don't see where bends would cause any restriction at all IF you go up in inlet pipe size over the turbo inlet size. Where you would possibly get restriction is from the same size pipe as the turbo inlet then I can see a possible issue but Not if a larger size pipe is being used, Thus meaning more capacity for air.

This subject has been beaten to death and has more opinons than Carter had liver pill's! :biggrin:

*RJC, Did you guy's ever do a test on this subject? Did anyone?

Did you guy's ever do a test on this subject? Did anyone?

You bet, many times. Starting in the early 90's. Results were fairly consistant too. Unless there was some sort of scoop to give a "ram" type effect the gains were small and usually on top end only. (this is why you see the turbos mounted in the front bumper of some cars, big gains from the air being force fed to the turbo) Unless very large tube was used, 60ft times usually suffered. As it was stated above the only time that the air was significanly colder was when the car was not moving, as fresh air floods the engine compartment when the car is moving. When the filter is down low in front of the core support it is sucking hot air off the ashphalt on the starting line which can be well over 100 degrees too.
Mike

X2 !!! ya back in the day .. Kenne Bell and ATRs .. Cars ran faster without them. I know.. All the show an shiners NEED them :p My air cleaner has been in the hot engine compartment since 87 :p

There are significant gains after sitting next to one of those engine bay filter cars sitting at a long stop light.

The hot asphault air goes away the moment you start moving, right to ambient, the engine bay air takes quite a while to dissipate.

That part I can attest to easily, as that's where my outdoor temp. sender is located.

Heat soak is bad mmmmkay. ;)

Good for a real daily driver, and of course those shine and show guys too. :cool:

Actually, we have been conspiring to slow down TR's for 10 years now.:biggrin: To me there is nothing uglier than a K&N filter getting gouged up by the AC lines.:smile: Guess the guys running in the 9's with my kits would be into the 8's if they took it off?

To each his own, and yes some people like to have their cars look nice, nothing wrong with that either.

Guess the guys running in the 9's with my kits would be into the 8's if they took it off?

To each his own, and yes some people like to have their cars look nice, nothing wrong with that either.
Never said that, but they might still be running 9's. And some could have a better 60ft? Nothing wrong with good looks, that's for sure. If a customer is happy that says it all in my book!
Mike

Just as Grumpy said, I tried both ATR and a Kenne-Bell ram air kit back in the day. My car was always faster with a K&N hanging on the end of the MAF. I actually did back to back testing at the track back then. Maybe there is a difference in the newer kits being offered today.

...I don't see where bends would cause any restriction at all IF you go up in inlet pipe size over the turbo inlet size. Where you would possibly get restriction is from the same size pipe as the turbo inlet then I can see a possible issue but Not if a larger size pipe is being used, Thus meaning more capacity for air.

Any (no make that ANY) piping added to contain/direct air flow--regardless of increased SIZE or BEND radius--WILL INCREASE resistance to flow--just physics,,,nothing personal...

The larger the pipe size & the more gradual (& no.) of bends--the smaller the added resistance would be, however...

Actually, we have been conspiring to slow down TR's for 10 years now.:biggrin: To me there is nothing uglier than a K&N filter getting gouged up by the AC lines.:smile: Guess the guys running in the 9's with my kits would be into the 8's if they took it off?

I'm not a fan of the crapped up filter look either. If I loose a 1/10 from that then so be it.

I'm not a fan of the crapped up filter look either. If I loose a 1/10 from that then so be it.

I totally agree with you I like the way it looks as well. I just do not want guys running out buying them thinking this is going to make them a bunch faster, in most cases it will not, that's all.
Mike

Funny i just installed my own home made cold air air kit also maf pipe and up pipe i have yet to drive it and see the results but i do know when i was at the track i went consistant 14.50s then i removed my high beam headlight and cut a 1.9 60ft (on street tires) instead of the 2.1s and my car went 14.22 so the may be somethin to be said for the cold air kits...

Funny i just installed my own home made cold air air kit also maf pipe and up pipe i have yet to drive it and see the results but i do know when i was at the track i went consistant 14.50s then i removed my high beam headlight and cut a 1.9 60ft (on street tires) instead of the 2.1s and my car went 14.22 so the may be somethin to be said for the cold air kits...
But this is a bit of another story, my old car was also a "cyclops" with the high beam out and a hose going right to it that was sometimes connected to the maf sensor pipe with no filter ( I know) ramming air into the turbo is a different deal. so is flooding the area around the filter under the hood without adding a bunch of extra pipe.
ML

You lost .2 in your 60ft which usually equates to double that in the 1/4 mile, so your reduction in ET is probably due to a better launch, not the colder air.

You lost .2 in your 60ft which usually equates to double that in the 1/4 mile, so your reduction in ET is probably due to a better launch, not the colder air.

I believe he's implying that the improved 60ft time was a direct result of the "no headlight hence cooler intake air" theory...

And, I also believe it has generally been recognized/accepted that each 0.1 sec improvement in 60ft time is worth about 0.15 in 1/4 mi time, not 0.2...