Coilpack

someone out there also sells an adapter harness to use the later stuff with 3 separate coils that GM used on prety much every V6 starting in the late 80's right on into the mid 2000's.

John at Caspers Electronics is a trusted vendor in the Turbo 6 world. CRE Loaded 6 - CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc. I'm currently running his parts on my 86/87 swap. Buy the adaptor cable and mounting plate. It's a painless swap! I've never had a single problem with Casper's parts!
The new 86/87 coil pack and ignition module are still not cheap, however, they are still cheaper than buying some crappy reman 84/85 unit. Look around Ebay and you may be able to find a deal.
I believe this kit will also work with the 3 coil setup you asked about. I'm blanking on the name of this setup. If all else fails... give John a call. He will be more than happy to help you. I went to his shop to buy a few parts and mentioned another problem I was having. Next thing you know he has his shop manuals out trying to track down my problem and help me out for free!!! Good man, good company!

Go to Oreilly or autozone buy a Borg Warner (BWD) E48 adapter plate it will cost you around 7 bucks and take them a day to get. You'll need an 87 coil get it where ever you like it's BWD E45, it takes about 5 mins to install you need no wiring or anything just plug and play. I got my 87 type coil from upull it but most part houses have it in stock from about $50 to $120. The only reason you need wiring is if your going to switch to the 87 module you don't have to do that to run the 87 coil, it will work just fine on your 84/85 module with the coil adapter plate. If you can't fine one locally I may be willing to part with mine as I'm going type II very soon and I have an extra. Don't forget to get a coil gasket BWD E49 if you buy a new coil it will come with, if not you will need one.

As for type II conversion you'll need BWD CBE103 that's the module from the late 80's buick, Olds etc. the newer module CBE47 that one seems to have an extra pin in the connector and as far as I know it is still in use, the extra pin is for what looks to me to be a second circuit in the crank sensor like a back up I guess I think you could use it by just leaving off the second wire or hooking the 2 together, this is just a guess at this point as I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to. The coils are easy to get E51 is the BWD part # as far as connection goes I bought the pins and a pin tool at NAPA the pins are .79 each and the tool is 9 bucks you can use a paper clip flattened a bit but its a pain in the butt. You can use the prefabbed harness from Caspers or whereever but they seem kinda price for me 60 or 80 bucks for about 20 buck worth or parts. Not for me! As far as the adapter plate goes I have an Idea on that I haven't got to play with yet, I'm going to use a late 80s bracket the one from the front right side of the FWD engine 3.1 or 3.3 I forget, and adapt it to fit the 84/85 plate should be real easy and cheap, think I'll give it a go Sunday after work. I'll take pics even though I have no Idea how to post them. I gave the BWD part #s as ref only if you go to the auto parts they can easily convert them to whatever brand you like (Delco), just makes it easier for you not having to explain what your trying to do and getting a blank stare from the 12 year old behind the parts counter. The pin outs for the conversion are in the tech area along with tons of other great info.

I just swaped over to the 87' setup. I bought a used coil and module from a member on this board and used the caspers adapter plate along with the splice kit with new cam and crank sensor plugs. It was the most simple upgrade that I have ever done on a car.