Coil pack replacement

MrMNTTA

Looking for 11.0's
I'm changing out my coil pack.......do any of you have some pointers, or things that you've experienced that I need to pay special attention to? Any help is appreciated!

Mark your plug wires so you know which one goes where if you dont have the original numbered wires still on. Then remove the torx bit screws securing the coil pack to the module. After the coils lose carefully tilt it up and back. Note the orientation of the 6 spade connectors on the bottom of the coil. Easy was to do it is take a quick pic. Use a pair of needle nose to slide the spade connectors off. After all the connectors are off you can remove the old coil. The new coil will have the spade posts pointing straight down. Do not bend them down before you have slid the connector back onto them as they are very fragile and need to be handled as little as possible. After you connect just reinstall the screws and wires and your set.

Anything wrong with the one you have?

Well, I'm a total novice with the turbo 6. If you look at this thread, it completely describes what is/was going on with my car:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/performance-ecm-upgrades/237248-bad-ecm.html

Maybe changing out the coil pack is overkill or not needed.......I've already changed out my ECM, but I haven't ran it yet........

I'm open to anything Razor, I just want the thing to run right again. I am going to put new plug wires and plugs in it irregardless of anything.

Point is dont change parts unless there is data to do so. Becuase of pandoras box scenario.

Pull the plug wires and look for corrossion on the posts. If they are clean.. use an Ohmeter and confirm resistance between the towers(search this.. testing coil pack). If the resistance on the 3 towers is the same.. your coilpack more than likely is ok.

The coilpack has numbers etched into it by the towers designating what cylinder is what. Look closely and you'll see them.

GN and TTA share same engine electronics. Easier to find GN stuff than TTA specific. Both work the same.

Ignition modules typically OOZE out green sticky stuff when they start going bad.

HTH

Point is dont change parts unless there is data to do so. Becuase of pandoras box scenario.

Pull the plug wires and look for corrossion on the posts. If they are clean.. use an Ohmeter and confirm resistance between the towers(search this.. testing coil pack). If the resistance on the 3 towers is the same.. your coilpack more than likely is ok.

The coilpack has numbers etched into it by the towers designating what cylinder is what. Look closely and you'll see them.

GN and TTA share same engine electronics. Easier to find GN stuff than TTA specific. Both work the same.

Ignition modules typically OOZE out green sticky stuff when they start going bad.

HTH

Thank you for the tips! I just started working on it last night. I also have the 20th Anniversary service manual supplement. I'm reading and trying to learn as much as I can

Read read read.. theh read some more. Keep that supplement next to the toilet.. do some more TTA reading.. eventually it sinks in.

Make sure all 6 of the connections are connected on the coil pack. I didn't secure one of mine and the car idled like crap for 20 minutes then it would smooth out. Novice mistake what can I say.....

HTH

My bad on the prior link, this is the link I meant to post:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/217638-tta-code-bad-miss.html

Make sure all 6 of the connections are connected on the coil pack. I didn't secure one of mine and the car idled like crap for 20 minutes then it would smooth out. Novice mistake what can I say.....

Thank you for the tip!