Coil on plug

I think Scott was responding to Cal's comment.

At any rate, there have been several CNP setups for the Buicks built. I think Bruce Plecan was the first, and a couple more after that, including mine.

Bob

I was referring to yours Bob, Mr. Mad Scientist:biggrin: I am tore up about that thing:cool:

Cool. I wasn't aware you had already made one Bob. I must have forgotten in my old age. I knew you had one for the LT1 guys, just didn't remember you doing one for the Buicks.

I don't know who Matt at ProFab is, but he had nothing to do with this project.

To be honest, I wasn't aware there were other COP kits already on the market. I need to review them and determine if there is a market for mine.

This statement is totally untrue. The reason the mega coil pack never got off the ground is in order to run it you have to amplify the ignition signal coming out of the electronic distributor before it goes into the stock coils With the electronic distributor we were using. In order to do this you have to run two dis4 boxes. These are expensive and unreliable. This was the holdup. We have never had a misfire with this setup and has been running on 3 cars one with an XFI one with a classic fast and one with a stock ECU for over 5 years now.

We were waiting for fast to come up with a stand alone electronic distributor that would amplify the ignition signal. the XIM was promising but did not even have an option to run a 6 cylinder until very recently when fast discovered a market for BMW 6 cylinders. They have a plug for a points input and it is in the works but as for now the plug is not hooked up to anything on the inside. We discovered this after them telling us it would work stand alone and then reviewing the current schematic and finding out it would not.

And we have documented HP gains eliminating the waste spark

Enough about that clarification, This system looks great.

Thanks for the explanation, the misfire comment was essentially a little humor in the sense that there was some problems and you describe it perfectly above. Sorry if I came across the wrong way. :cool:

Cool. I wasn't aware you had already made one Bob. I must have forgotten in my old age. I knew you had one for the LT1 guys, just didn't remember you doing one for the Buicks.

I don't know who Matt at ProFab is, but he had nothing to do with this project.

To be honest, I wasn't aware there were other COP kits already on the market. I need to review them and determine if there is a market for mine.

Cal,
Sounds like a winner to me!
What would be even better is if you could give me a class on XFI 101 so I knew what I was doing:rolleyes:!

I just shipped out another COP setup. I decided to go ahead and take a photo of the plug and play harness. Hopefully, the kitchen floor isn't too dirty :) As you can see, it's a pretty simple hookup. Under the hood you have to plug into the coils, connect to the module plug, and connect a ground to the engine. Under the dash you have to mount the XIM and connect power and the CAN connector.

Attachments

• Coil On Plug 002.jpg
    Coil On Plug 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 983
What will this complete setup cost? is this what i would also use with a trandlator pro set up?

I just shipped out another COP setup. I decided to go ahead and take a photo of the plug and play harness. Hopefully, the kitchen floor isn't too dirty :) As you can see, it's a pretty simple hookup. Under the hood you have to plug into the coils, connect to the module plug, and connect a ground to the engine. Under the dash you have to mount the XIM and connect power and the CAN connector.

WOW! nice floor:biggrin::biggrin:that a nice setup cal ..will be calling you soon .;)

Thanks, HOT ROD-GN. Maybe we can get this setup on the beast you have in your shop.

What will this complete setup cost? is this what i would also use with a translator pro set up?

That is the harness. It will also include coils and plug wires. I will sell it for $150 less without plug wires, but you will have to use the modified coils I provide. Keep in mind this setup also includes a 2-step. I'm not sure what a stock coil, module, 2-step, and good plug wires cost, but I know I will be quite a bit more. I haven't finalized the price, yet. I know it will be over $1000 for everything.

When using it on a stock ecm, you will control your timing through the XIM. You will have to plug your laptop into the XIM and access a timing map if you want to make timing changes. This won't be released quite yet until I finish testing.

I have recently heard about other COP setups but can't seem to find where they are sold and what pricing is :confused: Are there other plug and play kits out there, or am I missing something?

BTW: I also want to mention that this is NOT wastespark. I have several people ask about that. I can easily make a wastespark kit, but can't figure out why you would want that other than emissions.

HighPSI
Tech Forum Advisor Join Date: May 2001
Trader Rating: (0)

Thanks, HOT ROD-GN. Maybe we can get this setup on the beast you have in your shop.

[MAYBE] But sure going on mine.:biggrin:just got my block[153 one center];)going to bobby. spoke to tom yesterday for some heads..

Sorry for the interruption, im a young grass-hopper learning so excuse my ignorance. But can any one tell me what the advantages would this set up be be over the stock waste spark ignition? What advantages can you have by going "Coil unplug"? im sure you would have better efficiency in each cylinder. but just trying to understand it a bit more. sorry for the questions. just trying to get a better understanding of the pro's and con's over this set up vs. stock.
thanks for any and all questions answer. by the way the set up looks wicked.. :D

I don't think it will be any better on a stock setup. The only possoble advantage would be the 2-step. This is designed for high reving, high hp engines able to take advantage of a better ignition.

I have recently heard about other COP setups but can't seem to find where they are sold and what pricing is :confused: Are there other plug and play kits out there, or am I missing something?

BTW: I also want to mention that this is NOT wastespark. I have several people ask about that. I can easily make a wastespark kit, but can't figure out why you would want that other than emissions.

Cal,
to my knowledge there is not another on currently on the market. Bob designed a system, I built the billet housing that contained the electronics and attaced to the top of the stock ignition module. I also built a jig for the valve convers to be CNCed to fit the coils for mounting. By the time you bought valve covers, coils, harnesss, plug wires and the box the price was very high. While people liked it very much when we did some test marketing the demand was not there to justify the number of units that had to be built to keep the costs under control. And those slow sales would have tied up many inventory dollars that I could not afford to do at the time. If this was 5-8 years ago we could build 100 at a time without even thinking of it, today I am not sure 100 would be sold. I hope your solution works well for you and wish you the best selling it.
Mike

Ahhh, Thanks Mike. Although, I don't plan on selling a bunch. I am getting a LOT of interest.

I sold a few units this week. Looks like inital pricing will be $995. That will include the XIM box, plug-and-play harness, 2 coil harnesses, and 6 coils. That is everything you will need except plug wires and coil mounting brackets. I will include MSD 8.5mm plug wires for $60 more. For those that don't want to fabricate mounting the coils, I have a couple of options in the works. The prices WILL be going up January 1st, 2011.

Update: I have made one minor revision to the harness to make installation even easier. The coil brackets are close to being finished. I will include them in the $995 price. For those who have already purchased this setup, I will be mailing you brackets for free next week.

Update: I have made one minor revision to the harness to make installation even easier. The coil brackets are close to being finished. I will include them in the $995 price. For those who have already purchased this setup, I will be mailing you brackets for free next week.

Cal, Put a kit away for me .... serious ! We'll talk again:D

George

No problem, George. Please give me a call when you get a chance. I would like to catch up with you on how things are going.