code 42

Mike70gtx

I've done some searchs, but thought someone could help me narrow it down. It runs pretty good, but I can be going down the road at 50 or 60 and it will just die. If I turn the key off or try to restart, there is a good chance I get a huge backfire. Then the check engine light comes on. Scanmaster will show a code 42 whether the check engine light is on or not. I do have a translator plus and saw where there could be a problem with it.
Thanks,

This is not a slam. A code 42 is for the 1.8 Turbo electronic spark timing (EST), which lives in the distributor. If this post is about your GN, you should not be getting a 42.

Are you asking for help? If you are, please give more information.

Work your way through this. Normally if it recurs after a reset it's either a faulty ECM or the EST module itself. If the Buick Gods are really frowning on you it'll be the wiring somewhere in between. That's really not a lot of fun.

I would check the translator wiring as it goes between the ECM (pin B4 [EST]) and pin A of the CCCI.

Thanks for the replys.
For some reason I had been unable to get to gnttype.org. Both of the threads that you guys gave me will help. I'm going to take the maf and translator plus off of the 84 anyhow. It looks like the 87 motor is ready. I might see if that makes a difference first. Thanks again, I'll go through those check lists.

Originally posted by EyeTalk2Trees
This is not a slam. A code 42 is for the 1.8 Turbo electronic spark timing (EST), which lives in the distributor. If this post is about your GN, you should not be getting a 42.

Are you asking for help? If you are, please give more information.

What the heck are you talking about? This IS a GN issue.

Thanks, I was wondering if I asked the question right. All I know is my GRAND NATIONAL ain't runnin' so good.

Originally posted by Mike70gtx
Thanks, I was wondering if I asked the question right. All I know is my GRAND NATIONAL ain't runnin' so good.

Happy to put your mind at ease.

Did you use the link ALBERTAN left for you? If this doesn't help, I wouldn't know what would. The diagnostic's are layed out there step by step. Unfortunately no one part can be pointed to as "THE" part at fault, without going through each possibility one by one. It's a pain, but it works. Good luck, I just went through it here. Bad connections at my newly installed ECM were my problem.

Jeff

UPDATE: I'd reset the ecm and there would be no code or check engine light. But the car would just quit going down the road, (losing spark I would assume) After restarting several times then the check engine light and code 42 would come up. I decided to take off the translator plus and now everything works and it has been running fine. I guess I'll send it back in.