code 42 still

ABLACK6

runs fine until I rev the motor and higher rpm's then motor cuts out bad and code 42 pops up. Since that started, I changed plugs, wires and new elec control module, BUT still does it. I checked for vaccuum leaks etc and everything looks good. I got a bad valve cover gasket on pass side so I see the smoke and hear a ticking in that valve cover. So, would the lifter tick cause it to run perfect unless you give it much gas?

code 42 is est or bypass circuit failure lifter will not cause the code when this occurred on mine it was as simple as a wire on the ignition module connected having a broken wire were it connects to the module to set code 42 engine speed must be greater then 600 rpm with no EST pule for 200ms

Last edited:
thanks i tried all, still no action. Runs better and cleaned all wire plug ins at computer they looked bad! Everything is good so I just ordered a computer. Hope that's it. When I get it, I'll let you know.

when i had this issue it was due to my chip not being seated properly. I would definitely check there for sure..or a whole new chip in general just to eliminate that possibility. HTH

when i had this issue it was due to my chip not being seated properly. I would definitely check there for sure..or a whole new chip in general just to eliminate that possibility. HTH
hmmm I got the new ecm today and hooked it up and SAME thing! wtf. 1) BYPASS line is open or grounded
2) EST line is open or grounded
3) PROM or CALPACK not seated properly in the ECM
4) Poor connections between ignition module and ECM
5) Poor routing of EST harness and/or poor quality ignition wires (EMI induced electrical noise)
6) Faulty or incorrect ignition module
7) Faulty ECM
ALL this is fine, I already checked or bought new, so i guess maybe the chip? that and the pistons is about the only thing i got left! maybe i need to trade for a minivan damnit.

Any other chip to use to test?

Any other chip to use to test?
I put in original chip that came with car when i bought it and the car ran terrible throughout all rpm's! So I ordered same chip i was using but changed a couple things in it. So all I can hope is when it comes in, that the new chip fixes it OR I'm gonna have to find someone around here that knows gn's. But chicago is the closest to here that I know GOOD gn guys and that's 2 hours from me.

Have you checked for a loose ECM connection at the battery? I just had a code 42 gremlin that I couldn't figure out..and that happened to be the issue.

I had the same issue with a code 42. I packed the ecu connector with dielectric grease and it seems to have gone away.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

ok i got a call from a place i took it to today, who said it's a bad cam sensor. I was 3/4 asleep when i talked to them, but does that make sense for code 42? And they give me a $600 quote, so i told them i'll just pick it up and do it myself.

It's either the crank sensor, ECM wining, spark control module or ecm itself. In my case I had some corrosion on the ecm harness.

It's either the crank sensor, ECM wining, spark control module or ecm itself. In my case I had some corrosion on the ecm harness.

i had just replaced all that a couple weeks ago EXCEPT for the crank sensor. I got to leave for work, but i'll check it out.

I recently fixed a friends code 42, some desert rats ate some of his wiring 8 inches from the firewall penetration to the ECM. 3 wires chewed completely and 3 more partially chewed. We chased engine breakup and weird abnormalities for months.

The only time I've ever seen a 42 is when testing ignition control modules & coil packs. It will throw 42 if the module bracket (1 bolt, 2 nuts) isn't fastened tightly.