CO2 methanol injection

AnArKey

I got a crazy idea.

You use a CO2 cylinder, with a regulator on the output. This then feeds into a stainless steel propane tank, which is actually filled with methanol. The CO2 feeds into the top, and the methanol exits out the bottom, going through a solenoid mounted just before a injection nozzle. The instant the solenoid opens, you have methanol being pushed out by the CO2. None of the CO2 itself will come out. You could run as much pressure as the propane tank could handle.

You could have 200psi injection pressure, instant on. A small CO2 cylinder would be able to support many gallons of methanol. No pump to worry about failing. Higher pressure means better atomization.

That's a good idea! With that kind of atomization, and rpm switches you could inject water, ;)

What happens when the meth runs out and you pump in Co2...

You smack yourself in the head for letting that happen! :)

In a different system, you tap into the up-pipe for pressure. Feed that pressurised line to a sealed container. When the boost comes up the pressure forces the alchy out of the container, and into the up-pipe. Turn a valve when you aren't using it.

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
What happens when the meth runs out and you pump in Co2...

You'd save your motor. This works out to be a built in safety net, I think..

You might have a chat with Steve at SMC as before he built the electric pump version, he was running a co2 pressure fed system in his car.
fyi

Ok then, how about using compressed air? A storage tank in the trunk, and a K-Mart portable 12 volt pump to keep it up to pressure?

Should be good for a 12 second pass...

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
Ok then, how about using compressed air? A storage tank in the trunk, and a K-Mart portable 12 volt pump to keep it up to pressure?

Should be good for a 12 second pass...

I'd think that a small air compressor would limit you on pressure, last time I checked those little 12v compressor work up to like 100 psi or so. Even a cold bottle of co2 is capable of extremely high pressure, I remember when I was running nitrous, a cold bottle was like 600 psi.

Being that you'd only lose co2 when you went you fill your supply tank with methanol, I'm thinking it'd last awhile too.

Find me a good tank or describe a good way to modify a supply tank to hold 2-300 psi and I'll try it out.

Sorry I just come up with an idea or two, it's up to you to use a nitrous tank, or something like that....:)

Right now I'm working on a 2 stage system that will insert an alchy (and propane) mix into the engine between 3500, and 4500 rpm's. (in the second stage)I'll finish it next week, an soon as my speed valve gets here.

Details later...:)

What would happen if you put say 4 gallons of methanol in a 5 gallon (20lb)propane tank, then topped it off with liquid propane?

Would the tank pressure be far less? Meaning the methanol and propane form a mix with a lower vapor pressure?

Or would the vapor pressure of the propane not change?

In the latter case the propane would be boiling out of the methanol as the liquid level drops, keeping high pressure propane gas in the top of the tank to provide driving pressure. This would be with the liquid leaving the tank from the bottom.

Would the two liquids in the tank physically mix? If yes, then I will be losing some of the propane as it leaves with the methanol. Plus side would be the propane would boil out of the methanol once it was injected. That will boost atomization. If they stay seperate in layers, that's ok too. Liquid methanol is 50% denser than liquid propane, and it would be the methanol draining out the bottom, not the propane. So either case would work, just differently.

By my intial calculations, it would take about .25 gallons of liquid propane expansion to push all the liquid out of the tank.

So as long as the vapor pressure doesn't go way down, as long as the propane maintains it's pressure properties, this should work. I'd no longer need a CO2 tank, regulator, etc. No trips to get CO2, just a touch of propane at the store.

Hehe, I think you win the 'imagination contest! :) I gotta go to Englishtown now, so I can't comment on that. Yet :)

I was thinking of propane as well, not sure about the mixing thing...:)

Have you priced what it costs to fill up a CO2 bottle? After filling some air shifter bottles I can tell you it aint cheat. It's cheaper to fill then with nitrous than it is to use CO2. Costs use $40.00 for 5# of CO2.

I was thinking that I could just tap into my pro-pain kit bottle for pressure to get over 100psi but finding a stainless bottle to hold the methanol is still a problem.

How much CO2 would you really need? You would just be charging the tank. Any paintball store will fill up a 20oz tank for like 5 bucks. Most Galyans Sporting goods stores will fill co2 tanks.

Just throw a .25 horse compressor in the trunk with a battery.
;)