clunk noise when braking

1987ttype

when i brake hard i can hear a clunk noise coming from the passenger side (pretty sure it's coming from the front pass side), and when i release i hear another clunk. It seems as if something is popping out of place when i brake hard and pops back into place when i release. It seems to only happen when braking, especially if i go over a bump while braking (almost alway happens when i am braking over a speed bump). It doesn't seem to make the noise when i go over a bump without braking. The front pass side also seems to be alittle lower than the drivers side (maybe about 0.5-1"). I put the car up to take a look and all the ball joints and bushings seem ok, but i am admittedly no suspension expert. I replaced the front pads about a month ago and turned the rotors and drums. I don't know if that is related. I also have bilstein shocks on the car. Is there anything i should be looking for in particular? please help. thanks!

Upper control arm bushings would be my guess. Other less likely candidates would be broken swaybar end link, extremely worn balljoint, broken spring.

just an update, the UCA bushings look ok. they have some wear but nothing more significant than the drivers side bushings. it seems like the problem is with the UCA ball joint. I think i'm just going to use this as an excuse to do the 12" brake upgrade. Thanks for the help.

My granddad had a new Dodge that thumped when the brakes were applied and thumped again upon quick acceleration. When he took it to the dealer they found a rare factory installed beer botttle under the back seat. :eek: :eek:
You may want to make sure the front caliper bolts are tight.

Maybe a long shot, but check to make sure your caliper isn't loose. I had that on my GN. The O-rings that the bolts go through to hold the caliper on wore out. That was my clunking.

Brian