Cloudy bumper fillers

I recently bought an 87 GN and the paint on the rear bumper fillers was very cloudy. Polished it with some Safe Cut polish and they looked great for a few days. Gradually they clouded up again, and now a month later they are as cloudy as when I got it, and the car has been in the garage the whole time. Any ideas?

Common on car's with original bumper fillers.

I have been told there's nothing you can do except polish them before you take it out, or replace the fillers with new ones.

No experience myself with this problem, just what I have been told.

I recently bought an 87 GN and the paint on the rear bumper fillers was very cloudy. Polished it with some Safe Cut polish and they looked great for a few days. Gradually they clouded up again, and now a month later they are as cloudy as when I got it, and the car has been in the garage the whole time. Any ideas?

Two thing's could be, their singel stage paint in it .happens when it's old. or lac paint .was the car painted once?

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like a lot of the car has been repainted. So I'm not totally sure if the paint on the fillers is original or not.

Mine did the same thing.. Wasn't long after that they started falling apart.. Coincidence? I recently put fiberglass ones on, wont hafta worry about them for a long time..

My fronts started this year. Never had a problem for 21 yrs. I used some of that quick spray and wipe wax and it started, only on the front, paint is original.

Mine is the same way and it has 10,700 miles on the original paint. That is just the way they are after 20 years. As others have said, look into a set of fiberglass replacements and never have to worry about them again.

My front ones did that not too long ago on my 41k mile GN...I'm the original owner...I had to polish the fillers everytime I took the car out...I finally decide to replace them...when I went to remove them they just about fell apart in my hands...just started cracking...as suggested get new ones...or just live with it until they start cracking which probably won't be too long...

The fillers do this due to the plastic breaking down. Careful when polishing..the chance of them falling apart and turning to dust are high!

Yikes. Okay so I guess I should start looking for new fillers. Is there any conscensus on where to the best replacements? Fiberglass or urethane?

Urethane cost's a TON and you run the risk of if you own the car long enough it'll happen again.

The guys around me use the Fiberglass as opposed to the ABS Plastic ones...They do require fitting them up before you paint them.

Front fillers are still available from GM. Your first set lasted for 20+ years...I would just replace with New front fillers from GM.

Rear fillers are discontinued and I know there are some aftermarket ones out there but have no experience with them.

I have to disagree with you on this one Herb...There is no reason a factory body part should disintergrate...They should have used Fiberglass or something that will last in the 1st place.

Ridiculous IMO that low mileage cars that have been inside their whole lives should have to have something like this replaced.

It is kind of strange how they deteriorate. I have owned a few Monte carlo SS from the same era. I'm not sure if their bumpers are made of the same material, but they never deteriorated or clouded up like this.

whats the best way to get the stuff off? our low mileage/original paint car has it really bad(sits in the garage covered), but it only started to do it bad the past couple years....maybe the climate?

whats the best way to get the stuff off? our low mileage/original paint car has it really bad(sits in the garage covered), but it only started to do it bad the past couple years....maybe the climate?

If your talking about the cloudiness, it will wipe clean and shine again with some wax, but it will get cloudy again real quick. Nothing you can do about it, they are starting to break down and next starts the beginning of them cracking and splitting.It's just a matter of time. Mine are like that also, time for some new ones!

yeah, just tried to clean them and they cracked...9,000 miles:eek:

who sells replacements? do they come painted?

what brand of bumper fillers would you recommend and what is the website because im looking to get a rear set thanks alot