cleaning really dirty rims

87owner

I have spots of black on my front rims tha the normal rim cleaner stuff cant get off......Does anyone know what will get them totally clean again... Or if I can get thm dipped or something and restored to new again... I will be getting new tires soon anyway... could do them right...if its possible.

If the chrome is not damaged, you might want to try Mothers. You can usually pick it up at any auto parts shop, or just point your browser to http://www.mothers.com/ and look at the products section. It will be under the Tire/Wheel care secion. They sell some chrome polish.
Hope this helps.

these rims are just straight aluminum.......would you still suggest using mothers chrome polish? they used to be real nice to......but one time I let them go and now I only get them clean to this point...but I didnt want to try anything too harsh or abrasive......dont want the aluminum to look all white....thanks

Try Flitz, Metal Glo, or Wenol. All of these are metal polishes and by just personal experience (with Flitz, Metal Glo) work very well. The other my peers have tried with great results as well is Wenol. (my next test)

You may have to call the company or see if anyone has a source. I received mine as testers from a small private business. Some of the products aren't exactly cheap, but well worth it, IMO.

Im the manager of an auto parts store in oklahoma. there is this stuff called never dull. comes in a little silver can. It is the best stuff on the market, hands down.

I have the t rims on my GN and the clear has long since been gone.
The best to get the wheels real clean is Eagle - Mag and wheel cleaner for roug cast alum.

It is a strong acid so it will get the funk off.

Spray on (cool wheels) let it sit for a min or 2.
Spray some more on start scrubbing with a stiff nylon bristle brush(wheel brush).
Spray soime more on and then blast em off with highest psi water you have.
This will get them very clean but will dull the smooth areas.

Now you get the never dull, mothers, paste/liquid alum polishes, etc and start working on the flat areas arond the outside and the tops of the spokes and walla time will pay off. This is the prices to pay since the clear is gone on our wheels. I thought of powdercoating mine clear in the future but it would have to be a high temp powder coat cause the front wheels get pretty freakin' hot.

Good luck