Cleaning/prepping intake for paint?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
I have the intake off of my hotair GN, and before I put it back on I was going to clean and repaint it (its a mess right now). I don't want to just paint over the old paint, so I was thinking of getting it sandblasted to remove all the grease grime and paint. I was wondering if this is a good or bad idea? Will sandblasting change any of the critical dimensions enough to cause problems? I just want a nice clean bare surface to paint on, and I know a guy who will do sandblasting for me for very cheap, so I figured it'd be a good way to go. Any other ideas/suggestions?

We do it all the time.

Tape off the machined surfaces and plug the threaded holes
and let if fly.

After blasting wash or solvent wipe clean.

Dont use sand or heavy abrasives on any engine part, this includes glass bead, copper slag, aluminum oxide......

the abrasives will become trapped in metal pores and will slowly work itself out over time, adding sand to your engine.

walnut shell, pecanshell, 3M plastic medias are all Engine friendly.

:biggrin: A.j.

Paint

And this is the paint you want :biggrin:

Goodson ALB-1

Attachments

• DSCN0765.jpg
    DSCN0765.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 167
Frankenfurter,

So if I sandblast the outside of a intake or oil pan and the embeded sand
comes loose. It will beam its self inside the engine....:confused:

He's not doing pistons.

You will be fine. Clean it up good.

Frankenfurter,

So if I sandblast the outside of a intake or oil pan and the embeded sand
comes loose. It will beam its self inside the engine....:confused:

He's not doing pistons.

You will be fine. Clean it up good.

tape it all you want, cover all the openings, it doesent matter........ media goes everywhere. hey dont believe me, i only worked at a sandblasting shop for a few years, so I must be wrong. I guess its only that strict in aviation so they can charge you more.

:rolleyes: A.j.

Air Craft remover... It will remove unwanted aircrafts!

Lol Seriously though what I would do is just blast the hell out of it with brake cleaner, hit it with a good brush and get as much crap off of it possible, blast with brake cleaner again... basically repeat this until it's "clean". You do not have to go overboard... you can sub a scotch bright pad for the brush.

Tape it off and paint it... dont blast it, dont worry about it.

I prefer to use brake caliper paint on any hot parts, it's heat resistant and chemical resistant, and most of them "bake" on and get harder as time goes on.

If you really want to go overboard, then use aircraft remover... You can get it anywhere solvents are sold. BE SUPER CAREFUL, this stuff will remove ALL paints, and skin too... ask me how I know?

tape it all you want, cover all the openings, it doesent matter........ media goes everywhere. hey dont believe me, i only worked at a sandblasting shop for a few years, so I must be wrong. I guess its only that strict in aviation so they can charge you more.

Frankenfurter......:biggrin:

You are correct in theory. And a lot of blast specs, in several industries are that strict.

Space/air/ AMMA 2605 spec stuff.ect.....

On critical applications we have even used heat to drive out contaminates.

Frankenfurter......:biggrin:

You are correct in theory. And a lot of blast specs, in several industries are that strict.

Space/air/ AMMA 2605 spec stuff.ect.....

On critical applications we have even used heat to drive out contaminates.

well i dunno, it was a suggestion, i try to be as strict as possible when it comes to my engines, im too cheep to afford mistakes, and the thought of one loose bit of sand somehow making its way to a bearing all because i wanted a cleaner intake frightens me! LOL

but i do see your point as well.............. thousands, have just sprayed away and have never had an issue. it would just be my luck thats all!

Cheers Boss.

:biggrin: A.j.

do what you must to the intake then when your ready to clean it, fill a tote with real hot water and submerge it fer awhile, that should pull crap out of the inside.

careful with the nut shells

Not exactly on-topic, but this thread rang a bell for me with the talk of aviation and walnut shells.

I sandblasted and painted my intake... look so much better now. Bottom line is just make sure everything is as clean as possible.

I retired after 20 years crewing Chinooks, this link is to a tidbit of history. Not for the faint of heart, but you can take solice that your TR isn't likely to come apart in flight.

The crash of Boeing's CH-47C Chinook 74-22292.