Clean that engine!

timothydog

I have years of caked up oil on the front of my engine (I'm hoping it was from my leaky/bad seals on my old turbo). Now that I have replaced my turbo, I want to clean up the mess and observe for new leaks.

I was just going to grab some engine cleaning foam and take my car to the car wash. Are there any problems with doing this? Anything I should avoid getting wet?

to be honest with you, when i clean mine i manage to get everything wet. i leave the engine running though and i usually drive for a while before i shut it off too. i haven't had any problems as of yet.

The foaming cleaners work really well...I usually spray it on at home, drive to car wash, spray on 2nd coat, let it sit for 2-3 min., hit it with the car wash soap , then rinse everything well.

I do not cut the motor from the time I leave home until I get back.
Never any probs. Then, a last "rub-down", & it's done!

HTH :)

I use Simple Green. I mist the motor with water, covering up the coil and alternator, then spray on the Simple Green. I let it set for a couple of minutes then hose off. It made my 200,000 mile engine bay look respectable. I do not start the car, and usually let it set for a day. Water and electronics make me nervous.

Originally posted by Two Lane
The foaming cleaners work really well...I usually spray it on at home, drive to car wash, spray on 2nd coat, let it sit for 2-3 min., hit it with the car wash soap , then rinse everything well.

I do not cut the motor from the time I leave home until I get back.
Never any probs. Then, a last "rub-down", & it's done!

HTH :)

This sounds close to what I do, except, I just rinse the cleaner off @ home w/ the water hose.

After I have rinsed it off, I'll dry my chrome underhood pieces w/ a rag, and let the engine heat dry the rest of the engine compartment.

Last, I'll spray everything(except chrome pieces) down with Black Magic, and wipe the excess away.

Ross

I dont like foam cleaners from a can cause they always have that solvent like smell. I prefer simple green or Castrol degreaser, not the purple stuff but the plain degreaser. A small brush , preferably a detailing brush for scrubbing.

I once got water in the crank sensor plug and the car wouldnt start , so cover that one up.