Clapping sound under cam sensor????

pcella84GN

Pcella84GN
Still tryin to figure out why all of a sudden when i start my car up cold, i notice a clapping type sound comming right at the cam sensor, i can feel it with my hand. It slowly goes away after car is warmed up. Has anyone have any idea? please let me know.
could the oil pump be making that noise?

It could be the oil pump relief valve "chattering". But there is the grave danger that something is worn in the timing chain & gear set, maybe the tensioner. Have you every replaced these? Bad things can happen if they jump, break, or shuck nylon teeth into the oil pickup. :eek:

Looking at your performance mods I would install a double roller timing chain & gears.

What weight motor oil are your using? A thick motor oil puts extra stress on the timing chain & gears, the oil pump, and the cam bearings. The cam sensor shaft drives the oil pump on these. It's possible it's the cam sensor, but you need to check these others things as well.

The location you give doesn't sound like a lifter problem.

-Mike H.

pcella84GN said:
when i start my car up cold, i notice a clapping type sound coming right at the cam sensor
it's a bunch of little tiny tiny midgets under the cap, happy that they are going for a ride. :biggrin:

sorry I couldn't resist :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

i havnt changed anything internal in the motor, I use Dine 10w30...
Its just weird how it will go away after it warms up. you would think if it was a timming chain it would make noise all the time. I donno, i hope its just the cam sensor. maybe the ring hitting as it turns. can i take the cam sensor cap off when the car is running?

thanks
paul

pcella84GN said:
can i take the cam sensor cap off when the car is running?
I think if it was in the top portion of the cam sensor it would not go away because it is not oil lubricated. anything that is oil lubricated then I could see, like the Tchain, or even the gear on the cam sensor. try posting this in the hot air section.

i had the same problem there was 1/4 inch play in my cam sensor installed new one problem solved.

really??? I hope it's as simple, in my case.... Did u replace the whole sensor or just the cap? its funny becuase the noise became noticable after i took the sensor out to readjust it. Maybe the bolt is loose that snugs the sensor tight, thanks for your input.

Should a use some kind of pertrolium jelly on the sensor shaft gear?

paul

The oil slinger on the crank should be sending oil all over the inside of the timing cover when running. So, you don't need to put anything on the sensor gear.

-Mike H.

I Replaced The Whole Sensor I Also Heard Of People Shiming The Shaft Above The Gear But I Dont Know What The Tolerance Is