Clapping from either the back I of the throttle body or coil pack

Thanks, the spark test in the dark is a great idea and will try that tonight. I am going to pull the car up on ramps and recheck the bolts through the inspect plate today. I let the oil drain out of my paint screen over night and what I thought were metal shavings weren't. I have my cut open original oil filer draining into another paint strain just for the hell of it. I'm still on the fence on mechanical failure or not. After today something needs to be removed, pan or vc. When I am under the car checking I'll see if the pan is next or vc. Neither look fun.

If you go for the pan be sure to disconnect the fuel lines connected on the drivers side frame near the front of engine; wasted a set myself not doing. Ck converter though; key is intermittent = loose convertor. Ck receipts or call gentleman you purchased from.

oh ya, trick for tracking bad plugs or wires is to get a spray bottle and fill with water. spray fine mist; not saturate and energy will go to path of least resistance. don't do at coil pack !!!

Trust me, it does not take a paint strainer to notice metallic silver paint in the oil. That's what you would find if there was any internal damage. And if it was bearing damage, your hot oil pressure would be 0.

Try unbolting the torque converter from the flywheel and running the motor. You can slide the converter back into the trans enough so its not rubbing the flywheel. Check the starter gear to make sure it's retracting when disengaged.

Another test you could try is run without the accessory belt.

Mechanics stethoscope are inexpensive and available at most big box auto supply's. I love mine.

One thing I can say, a mechanical problem will not come and go. I would take a look under the valve covers but if you have good oil pressure, I would not pull the pan.

Good luck!!

stethoscope rod or even a long screw driver on parts of the drivetrain. get under the car when its running....put your hand on the converter shield, oil pan. one ratchet on my torque strap gives my car that 20/30 sec sound too.....exhaust hitting the floor board:rolleyes: also check the downpipe hitting the rail.

As TurboBuRick stated,unbolting the TC is a good idea. Had a similar noise coming from my 86' and it ended up being a broken stator in my transmission. I'm glad it was such an easy fix.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'll vote bent push rod or maybe cracked rocker arm/shaft. For sure pull the valve covers and inspect. Use a magnet and don't drop a push rod into the engine.