Clapping from either the back I of the throttle body or coil pack

Yes, first time I ever started it. IT was in a guys drive way next to the property I hunt. Got to know him pretty we'll. he said the car was his baby. Drove it until 93 , last nj inspection sticker, and parked it. Said he started it for the next 8 years until the battery died. Started it a year ago then it sat until I towed it home. Been out in the garage for the last 3 hours pretty much laying on the engine trying to pin point that noise. It does move from side to side so I am assume the lifters- cam is wiped from me not priming the oil pump. I am going to get a second opinion from a guy Stefan (trixsixpa) referred me to, Paulie. He only lives one town over and he suppose to know gn's we'll. Not the end of the worldl if I have to do a full motor rebuild. At that point I might as well do a complete restore. The car doesn't have a speck of rust on it but the engine compartment does look like a 25 year old car. Plus I am see oil dripping down the turbo where it bolts together so here comes another full restore I guess. I have done 3 69 z28's in the last ten years so what the heck.

I thought by the OP, it was a decently running or idling engine, and just had a nuisance clapping sound. Like a flappy serpentine belt. Then the real story comes out! :D
Well, at least you have a responsible and reasonable attitude about it . Hat tip for that.
And doesn't sound as if you'll deny reality and try replacing headlight adjustment springs and every other stupid thing before facing reality and biting the bullet.
By the sounds of it, the engine bay may benefit from an engine swap anyway. The motor surely will.
The sound might also be a blown head gasket, and the sound you are hearing is it reverberating in the valley area.
(see your note about how the owner drove it for a few years - ,but then - for just no good reason - parked it)
Yeah, people tend to do that when they blow a HG.
Although HG sounds terrible, it's about as common as a cracked driver's side header on these cars.

Those are funny stories about hoarders. People are funny and yet strange. Takes his "baby" and locks it away in a shed for almost 20 years. Sorta like an Ariel Castro mentality.
Odd that the oil came out clean, but I'd definitely pull the pan and look at the last 1/2" of slop.
And like Earl said - for grins, cut open the oil filter. Those cam grindings can be very fine and easily overlooked.

Good luck to you sir.
You shall be putting that hunting on hiatus while you play with YOUR new baby! :D

Attachments

• stuff 151.jpg
    stuff 151.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 90
  • BLOWN HEAD GASKET image (13).jpg
    BLOWN HEAD GASKET image (13).jpg
    872 KB · Views: 89
  • BLOWN HEAD GASKET image (1233).jpg
    BLOWN HEAD GASKET image (1233).jpg
    969.1 KB · Views: 88
I cut open the filter and poured it into a paint strainer and not a sign of any shavings. I still will try to get Paulie to come by and take a listen. Will be glad to pay him for his time to make 100% sure the engines shot. I'll search on how difficult these pans are to drop and check out what's in it since I off for a week. Thanks for all the replies.

Nice pics. I have some of those trophies in my garage. :whistle:

LOL - don't tell anyone, but none of them are mine
Knocks on head and wood at same time
I stole the pics of TB.com!

A notice from our lawyers:
The attached pictures are for reference purposes only, and not to be construed as actual or as built product.
They in no way represent the actual poster, nor any of his head gaskets.
Assumption of risk is soley the responsibility of the person filling the alky tank or adjusting the boost.

I cut open the filter and poured it into a paint strainer and not a sign of any shavings. I still will try to get Paulie to come by and take a listen. Will be glad to pay him for his time to make 100% sure the engines shot. I'll search on how difficult these pans are to drop and check out what's in it since I off for a week. Thanks for all the replies.

Pretty easy.
Crossover pipe and you have good access.

I'm not clear- do you now have oil pressure - or no?
If yes - then you can yank the valve covers and watch the lifter action like Chuck said.
Before pulling the pan - or after - whichever.
I suppose the right sequence is to pul lthe pan now - clean it out, add a new filter, some cheapy oil and then see what you got.
Pull the valve covers after that
That will tell you alot right there.

The engine does run fine just a little rough but starts right up and yes fine oil pressure. I added a bottle of marvel mystery oil today thinking it might be a clogged lifter since the car sat for so long. I let it run for 30 mins. Every 20/30 seconds I get the click/clack. Hmm pull valve cover or pan. Seems a lot easier to pull the v cover. My mission for Thursday . Not sure what I will be looking for but what the heck.

Pull the cover. Heck, might be a cracked rocker shaft.

Everyone has opinions, and we know what they're just like, but I would drain some oil out of it and put 2 quarts of tranny fluid and run it (not drive it) for a while. Tranny fluid is detergent (you can wash your hair in it, really) and will gently clean out everything in there, and help long unused lifters to pump up. Merry Christmas:cool:
Troy

Sounds like a compression check or leak down is in order.
Anyone who has run one of these hard has the same trophies.

PICT0068.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are you sure the ac compressor is not engaging and disengaging? o_O Whats the heat selector on?

Climate controls are off. It really looks like I need to pull the pan. I did a quick compression check on cy 2, 4 and 1 and see 135 to 140 by just connecting the gauge and spinning the engine. I do have oil leaking between the turbo casting and when I rev the engine after warm up I get a lot of white smoke out the exhaust.

White smoke=coolant. Have you monitored the level over this time?

If something was wrong in the pan, it would make the noise all the time. Surely not going to be in 20/30 sec intervals. When it comes to the rotating assembly, it either knocks or it don't.

Try unbolting the torque converter and running the motor to help narrow it down.

Last edited:
My internet vote is nothing drastically wrong with the motor, bad turbo probably oil seals, and something rattling.

I'm being an optimist today, out of character I know but..... :sneaky:

White smoke=coolant. Have you monitored the level over this time?
I have only run the engine 30 mins at a time 4 or 5 times and don't see any real coolant decease. I added an oil pressure gauge so I drained and refilled the coolant 2 starts ago. I am draining the oil that I added the marvel mystery to this morning and will let the engine run for more then 30 mins and monitor the coolant levels. I have been literally laying on top of the motor trying to pin point my clicking noise. I'll get a second set of ears to listen as we'll. thanks for you guys taking the time to respond. Dam this gn's seem complicated. I long for my old SBC solid lifter camaro's.

That a for all your replies. I have gone through most of the suggestions:

Arching wires-wires secure and routed correctly
Coil pack bracket bolts-all bolts secure
Compression check- will complete today. So far 2,4 and 1 between 135 and 140
Exhaust leak- no leaks
Belt tensioner- checks out ok
I cut open the filter and it's cleanup but after I ran the engine with marvel mystery oil I drained again and screened the oil with a paint strainer. This time I did see 4 little metal shavings.
AC so off

Last thing suggested is to pull the valve covers which will be my mission today and to get a compression reading on the remaining cylinders. At this point I am assuming the cam is wiped so pulling the vc should confirm.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I know you said you did the spark test but did you do it in darkness. The light can decieve things. Sounnds like compressions ok. Ck for head gasket leak by also removing radiator cap after engine cool and seeing if bubbles form also temp. Some converter's with multiple disks will make a wierd sound; I had an old vigilantee that was noisey. Simple things first. Dont get crazy with tear downs until you can absolutely attribute to engine failure. Sounds as if you need a turbo though if oils leaking out..... Hopefully this helps.