CKPERFORMANCE TH400 MANUAL.

chris718

Here is the deal.The books will be going to the printer the fist week in January.All text has been completed and we have gottem permission for reprint.The 4L80E book will be on hold until General gives us the ok.If anyone is using our TH400 trans or products this is the last chance to get in the book.Forward photos and build up information before January 1st or it will not be included.Alan,get me the pics and your build quickly.The cost of the book will be 69.00.No form will be available on cd.This is the one.The modifications and indexing in this book have never been seen anywhere before.The book is incredible.In depth build up tech,modifications,interchange,4L80E parts to 400 interchange,2 speed 400 build, etc.100 copies will be made up front.Its here,Dont miss it.They will be in house before the end of January.

A snip it from the outtakes
What are the origins of rearward thrusting on the rear section of the transmission? All of the rotating components in the front section of the transmission put a rearward thrust load on the rear section of the transmission. To understand this we must look at how the transmission was originally designed. The 2 components in the rear section that can be loaded from the front section are the main shaft (681) and the sun gear shaft (664).
Pressurized oil in the front of the torque converter acts on the front diameter of the input shaft (601) and pushes rearward. For example, if converter charge pressure is 70 p.s.i. and the front face of the input shaft is 1.000”, then the input shaft will exert 70 p.s.i. of rearward thrust. The input shaft (601), forward clutch housing (602), and forward clutch hub (616) all exert rearward thrust on the main shaft. This is because the front end of the main shaft acts as a stop for rear face of the forward clutch hub. See Figure. The rear internal gear (685) is attached to the rear end of the main shaft. Because the rear end of the main shaft acts as a stop for front face of the rear internal gear (685), the rear internal gear thrust loads the rear internal gear to output shaft 3 piece thrust bearing assembly and the front thrust surface of the output shaft. This then thrust loads the output shaft rear thrust surface into the output shaft to case thrust bearing assembly.
How do we remove rearward thrusting from the assembly? Installing a thrust bearing assembly between the rear face of the forward clutch hub and the front thrust surface of the direct clutch housing (633) will remove rearward thrusting from the forward clutch hub to the main shaft. However it will now transfer it from the direct clutch housing to the sun gear shaft (664). This is because the front end of the sun gear shaft acts as a stop for rear face of the direct clutch housing. See Figure.

Here is the deal.The books will be going to the printer the fist week in January.All text has been completed and we have gottem permission for reprint.The 4L80E book will be on hold until General gives us the ok.If anyone is using our TH400 trans or products this is the last chance to get in the book.Forward photos and build up information before January 1st or it will not be included.Alan,get me the pics and your build quickly.The cost of the book will be 69.00.No form will be available on cd.This is the one.The modifications and indexing in this book have never been seen anywhere before.The book is incredible.In depth build up tech,modifications,interchange,4L80E parts to 400 interchange,2 speed 400 build, etc.100 copies will be made up front.Its here,Dont miss it.They will be in house before the end of January.

Chris,
I sent you e-mail with power point file with pictures in it documenting my build. If you can't open it please let me know.

Allan G.

What kind of a deal can I get if I get the 200r4 and 400 manuals together. PM with info..

When will they be ready for shipment? I need to order some parts, figured Ill order everything at once to save on shipping.

Sorry,no deals on the books. The books will be for sale at the end of the month.69.00 plus shipping.

Yes Chris, When will these books be available? I also want to order a 200r4 book with supplement sheets. I will order ASAP if you let me know....

Yes Chris, When will these books be available? I also want to order a 200r4 book with supplement sheets. I will order ASAP if you let me know....

I know Chris is not feeling well but I did talk with him the other day and he's still ironing out some small details and it sounds really close to being released.
I have some infomation that he may want to see but I guess he's been under the weather.
Allan G.

Allan I am sick.Call me on cell phone tomorrow.The graph material was awesome.Books can be preordered .Call in and speak to Michelle.There are 49 copies unreseved.

Whats the update on the manuals? I sent my money order in a few weeks ago, hoping to see the book soon. Thanks!

Is there any new info on the books? I would like to order one if they are availible.

Allan I am sick.Call me on cell phone tomorrow.The graph material was awesome.Books can be preordered .Call in and speak to Michelle.There are 49 copies unreseved.

I continue to call and try to reserve my copy. Every time I call, I get the answering machine. Would love to order this manual and one for 200R4.

I talked with Chris the other day. He is very busy but hasn't lost sight of releasing the manual. He is still in the editing stages and needs more time. I can't wait for my copy either but we will just have to have some patients.

Allan G.

CHAPTER 3 SECTION A
DISASSEMBLY AND INSPECTION OF THE FORWARD CLUTCH HOUSING
Illustration 3A-1 is the master schematic of the forward clutch housing and related components.

ILLUSTRATION 3A-1
ILLUSTRATION 3A-2

Use Illustration 3A-2 as a guide to begin disassembly of the forward clutch. Remove the snap ring (619) that retains the direct clutch hub (618) to the forward clutch housing (602). See Illustration 3A-3. Please note that we will be referring to the forward clutch housing as the forward drum. Remove the direct clutch hub from the drum. See Figure 3A-1.

ILLUSTRATION 3A-3 FIGURE 3A-1
Inspect the direct clutch hub (618) for damage. The splines should be square along their full length and free from scoring and galling. See Figure 3A-2. If the direct clutch pack failed, carefully inspect this area as the hub may need replacement. A damaged hub is shown in Figure 3A-3.

FIGURE 3A-2 FIGURE 3A-3

The direct clutch hub doubles as the forward clutch backing plate. Inspect the forward clutch backing plate area of the direct clutch hub. See Figure 3A-4. If the backing plate is warped, burnt or scored, it should be replaced. Please note that it is not uncommon for this surface to have machining grooves from the original manufacturing process. See Figure 3A-5.

FIGURE 3A-4 FIGURE 3A-5

Remove the “front” forward clutch hub thrust washer (617) from the forward clutch hub (616). See Figure 3A-6 as well as Illustration 3A-4. This washer may be metal or plastic. Inspect the thrust washer and its thrust surface for wear or scoring. Inspect the plastic type washer for meltdown. We will be replacing this washer with a thrust bearing. Remove the forward clutch hub from the drum. See Illustration 3A-4. Remove the “rear” forward clutch hub thrust washer (615) from the forward clutch hub. See Figure 3A-7 as well as Illustration 3A-4. Inspect the thrust washer and its thrust surface for wear or scoring. This washer is almost always in perfect condition as it is only used as a rotating thrust surface in reverse.

FIGURE 3A-6 FIGURE 3A-7

ILLUSTRATION 3A-4 AMC/JEEP
Inspect the forward clutch hub splines for wear in the same manner as previously outlined for the forward clutch hub See Figure 3A-8. Inspect the inside and outside diameters of the hub broach for twisting, splitting or cracking where it interfaces with the main shaft. See Figure 3A-9.

FIGURE 3A-8 FIGURE 3A-9

Remove the forward clutch pack assembly from the drum. See Illustration 3A-5

ILLUSTRATION 3A-5 AMC/JEEP
The assembly may consist of 4, 5, or 6 clutch plates (614) and steel plates (613) as well as one wave plate (611) or one dished plate (612).See Illustration 3A-6.

ILLUSTRATION 3A-6 GM

At this point, the partially disassembled forward drum should resemble Figure 3A-10.

FIGURE 3A-10

My work on the book was done a while ago.The printer messed up and promised copies by the end of April but it didnt happen.Because they were prepaid I cant just go and take the disc and go somewhere else as I am afraid to lose what I paid them.If anyone wants a copy I will have them shortly and they must be paid via US POSTAL SERVICE MONEY ORDER made out to my daughter Alexandra Kokonis as all the proceeds will be paying for her schooling for the next year hopefully. The book itself is incredible and over 300 pages. Im sure everyone will find it useful, much more in depth than the 2004R book.

So whats the time-line for printing/shipping? Looking forward to broadening my TH400 knowledge!