Chronic Serpentine Belt Issue

turbojustin

Ninja
I am lucky to get 2000 miles out of my serpentine belts before they start to squeak. It seems the belts are getting stretched. There is always a rubber dust build up on my pulleys, leading me to believe that one of the pulleys is out of line. However, they all seems to be fine. I have RJC pulleys on the crank, water pump, and tensioner. The front lip of the tensioner pulley has a significant amount of rubber buildup. Will flipping the tensioner pulley over change its alignment?

Any ideas where to start?

I haven't noticed a build up of belt dust, but my belt seems to make a funny noise with the RJC pullies on the crank, waterpump & alternator. I'm still going to buy the RJC tensioner & power steering pulley, and replace the stock tensioner.

Is your tensioner in the window of operation?
Look at the tensioner from the front of the car it will have a small window machined into it and the notch should be in that lil window. If not then bet your belt is too long.

Is your tensioner in the window of operation?
Look at the tensioner from the front of the car it will have a small window machined into it and the notch should be in that lil window. If not then bet your belt is too long.

Can't seem to find the "window", but I'm gonna keep looking. My belt is 63.5" which should be correct, but I do think it is too long. At least it is too long now because the tensioner is only compressed maybe 3/16" from being relaxed.

OK. I found the window. It about 1/8" outside the window. Guess it's time to start shopping for a shorter belt.

3/16" say what??
"window" it will be on the engine side of the tensioner and it just a lil notch machined into the body of it . Its on the stationary portion

Just want to update, that after replacing the stock tensioner pulley & the power steering pulley with the RJC pullies, my serpentine system doesn't make any odd noises anymore. The stock bearing in the tensioner pulley was shot....

TurboJustin, how's the shorter belt seem to be holding up?